Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looper Pedals, How they work

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkster, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi guy's just looking for a little info,
    Would a looper pedal such as this take the unwanted noize out of my effect's loop?
    [​IMG]
    I was wondering how theses pedals work and how they would be hooked up?
    I have a pretty big pedal board including a Akai SB1, Boss TU2, BF2B, CE2B, Sansamp bdd1, and a Blue Tube bass drive and a home made fuzz pedal. How would the looper be hooked up and will it take care of all the pedals, Where would I place the looper and how would it be wired. I know I'm asking a lot but I want to get rid of the hiss and noise coming from some of my ancient effect pedals.
    Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    A looping pedal makes it so that you can "cut out" loops of effects so that your signal goes pretty much from your bass to your amp. That pedal would work, but I would recommend to you a visit to this guy www.loooper.com . His pedal is of superlative construction (I have one, it's BOMB proof) and very noise free. I use a ****load of effects, but 90% of the time I'm going clean, so my loooper is key.

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Cool! Now Josh do I only need one looper pedal? Or do I need one for every effect, Where on my board would I put it and how do I run all my pedals into it,
    Thanks Bro
    H

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Depends how many loops you want, and how you organise your effects. Each loop can have 1..n effects pedals in it.

For example, I have a three loop loooper pedal. Loop A has overdrive,distortion and octaver. Loop B has fuzz and envelope filter. Loop C has Wah. When I bring Loop A into the signal chain by pressing the Loop A switch, whichever of the three pedals in that Loop are on will do their magic on the sound. When I switch Loop A off, I'm back to normal.

Assuming I have no other pedals, my bass signal goes into the loooper input. The loooper output goes into my preamp. On the loooper pedal, each loop has a send and return.

LoopA send goes to the input of my octaver, then to overdrive/distortion. The output from that goes to the LoopA return.

LoopB send goes into my fuzz pedal, the out from the fuzz goes to the envelope filter and then that output goes to LoopB return . etc etc.

As to where on your board you put it, that gets into signal chain placement which is a whole other topic.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have a two loop loooper with a parrallel option for the second loop. My set up, while not the same, follows a similar logic to David's. You only need one pedal, just plan out exactly what you want to go with what before you buy a pedal.

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    this is a bit off the topic but relates quite well...
    i too have a loop pedal but it did not clean up my noise problems
    (except when the pedals were bypassed.)
    i ended up getting a voodoo labs pedalpower...
    most of my noise was coming from the massive amount of wall warts used to power the pedals...i also bought george l cables and made all my connections as short as possible. these two things really cleaned me up.
    as far as my loop pedal, i got a unit made by b.c. rich which has a main in and out, main volume, four loops and five programmable presets for loop combinations...plus a nine volt power supply chain(1 in, four out) and true bypass... i don't think they make them anymore, i got mine at chuck levins, wheaton maryland, in the blowout bin for fifteen bucks. they had a few more, my buddy just got one too.
    good luck
    d.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thank you guy's, I will be buying a three loop pedal from Looper and when I get it I'll bring back this thread to see where I want to put it in the chain...
    Thanks again, You guy's are the best.

8. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    Forgive me for digging up this dead thread, but I don't quite understand Loop pedals and didn't want to start a whole new thread for it. I've got a whole lot of pedals I use, and have been looking for ways of making it easier to use them at shows.

So, I get that a single loop can cut all of your effects and make your output clean. Then a multi-loop pedal can trigger a clean output, or optional effect mixes. What I don't get is this...

-When you're using a multi-loop pedal do you have to have all of your effects on at all times so that when you switch over to the channel they're on they're active, or does the loop pedal somehow activate the pedal when you press down?

-How do effects pedals connect to the loop pedal? Does each connected pedal have to have it own input on the loop pedal?

Any help you can give would be great. Thanks!

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    The loop does not turn your pedals on or off. All the looper does is decide whether your signal flows through the pedals in that loop or bypass them.

So if all the pedals in the loop are off then turning on the loop will have no effect other than to possibly introduce any noise that's in your signal from the pedals, which can be a handy thing to discover.

You have to turn on the pedals that you want activated when the loop is kicked on.

If you want each pedal in it's own loop then yes, each pedal would connect to the looper. But if you have multiple pedals in the loop, then only the first and last ones are connected to the looper.

For instance, my first loop (loop A) on my looper has octaver, the overdrive and then fuzz. So I connect the "send" jack of Loop A into the input of my octaver. Then connect my octaver to my OD and fuzz as normal. Then I take the output of my fuzz and connect it to the "receive" jack of loop A. Now those three pedals are in a loop together.

I hope that helps.

10. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    01) no, you leave the effect on or off, the bypass loop just inserts what's in the loop back into your signal chain.

efx a -> b -> [LOOP = c, d, e] -> f -> amp

if effects c & e are turned on, stepping on the loop will put both of them back in the signal chain but not effect d.

02) there are different sized of bypass loopers, with different amounts of inputs, or loops. each bypass loop you would connect all the pedals you want in that loop, like Loop 1's send/out -> effect A's input, effect A's output -> B's input, B's output -> Loop 1's receive/in. that would give you a loop that was effect A & B.

hope that helps.

edit: what Jareeeeed said.