Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looper question

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by dadodetres, Aug 30, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hi!

im planning to get a decent looper for solo/experimental bass playing, the problem is that everyone i finded or readed in the net dont quit explain the functionin and recording method.

i live in uruguay so here i cant try anything out, but im going in some weeks to the USA and im planning to go gear shopping.

ok, back to the question:
    i have a Korg AX1-B which has a "looper" option (actually HOLD).
    if you are not familiar with this unit ill say how it works, and since i think is the perfect looping method, you can help me find a looper with the same method of working.

when setting up the effect you choose a number from 1 to 21, which is the loop time, so the looping time is already pre-set.

it has an expresion pedal, which can also be pressed down for engaging the recording.

when the rec is off, the hold works like a delay, being the expresion pedal the vol that goes into the delay (so if the expression is in 0 the delay is off)

when the rec is on, the hold works as the looper, being the expression pedal the vol that goes in the looper.

so this way i play a loop with exp engaged and fully on, it automatically starts to repeat each 1-21 time, and then i put the exp pedal fully of (not disengagin it) and start to play over the loop.

when i disengage the exp pedal, the loop starts to fade out.

my question is: is there a PRO (or decent) looper that works like this? the AX1B is good, but it has only like 2 seconds to loop!! and the quality isnt THAT good also.

thancks a lot for ANY input!

2. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    I don't know if boss loopers can do this, but the line 6 DL4 you can Kinda do what you are talking about, but you would have to buy an extra expression pedal to make a loop fade away.

I know what you mean about the small loop, I have a AX1G ( though I am a bass player) that does the same exact thing, I got mad at it, and removed the sound that loops for I have the DL4 set up I stated above. also, you can still play over your loop, change effects, and record a loop on a loop.

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm not sure about the expression pedal control, but if you want loops of a preset length, you're better off looking for a delay pedal with a long delay time and a hold function rather than something that's labeled as a 'looper' - I've a feeling that the Roland DD-20 will do what you want to do - have a look at the specs online.

cheers

steve
    www.stevelawson.net