looper question

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by dadodetres, Aug 30, 2005.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

im planning to get a decent looper for solo/experimental bass playing, the problem is that everyone i finded or readed in the net dont quit explain the functionin and recording method.

i live in uruguay so here i cant try anything out, but im going in some weeks to the USA and im planning to go gear shopping.

ok, back to the question:
    i have a Korg AX1-B which has a "looper" option (actually HOLD).
    if you are not familiar with this unit ill say how it works, and since i think is the perfect looping method, you can help me find a looper with the same method of working.

when setting up the effect you choose a number from 1 to 21, which is the loop time, so the looping time is already pre-set.

it has an expresion pedal, which can also be pressed down for engaging the recording.

when the rec is off, the hold works like a delay, being the expresion pedal the vol that goes into the delay (so if the expression is in 0 the delay is off)

when the rec is on, the hold works as the looper, being the expression pedal the vol that goes in the looper.

so this way i play a loop with exp engaged and fully on, it automatically starts to repeat each 1-21 time, and then i put the exp pedal fully of (not disengagin it) and start to play over the loop.

when i disengage the exp pedal, the loop starts to fade out.

my question is: is there a PRO (or decent) looper that works like this? the AX1B is good, but it has only like 2 seconds to loop!! and the quality isnt THAT good also.

thancks a lot for ANY input!
  2. ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    I don't know if boss loopers can do this, but the line 6 DL4 you can Kinda do what you are talking about, but you would have to buy an extra expression pedal to make a loop fade away.

I know what you mean about the small loop, I have a AX1G ( though I am a bass player) that does the same exact thing, I got mad at it, and removed the sound that loops for I have the DL4 set up I stated above. also, you can still play over your loop, change effects, and record a loop on a loop.
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm not sure about the expression pedal control, but if you want loops of a preset length, you're better off looking for a delay pedal with a long delay time and a hold function rather than something that's labeled as a 'looper' - I've a feeling that the Roland DD-20 will do what you want to do - have a look at the specs online.