Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LOOPER?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TGEvans, May 17, 2005.

1. I might just be really stupid but I am also new to this site,so be nice.I saw some gadgets on the effects pedal thread and was quite intrigued.They were called loopers i think.Could anyone explain what they are/do and where i could get one of a really good quality if i needed to.Cheers Tim.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Looper/Sampler = A (usually large) pedal that records yourself playing and loops it over and over again so you can play over yourself. You can be playing up to 16 different bass parts on different loopers.

Loooper = A god send pedal made by sum dude at www.loooper.com which can bypass multiple pedals with one button. Check that site out. You leave all your pedals on, and just control them all from the loooper.

I should be getting a loooper within the next month.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there's two different things here, can you be clearer on what you're referring to?

There are loopers, which are for phrase recording/playback. They can be used for playing along to yourself live and/or storing/playingback samples. visit http://www.loopersdelight.com for more info on that

There are looopers, which are effects loop boxes allowing you to have one or more loop containing one or more effects. This allows you to do the following:
    1) keep noisy pedals out of your regular signal chain
    2) bring one or more pedals in/out with a single button
    Boss make a similar unit, the LS-2, whereas the looopers are all custom made to order. http://www.loooper.com

Once you know which one you're referring to, searching here will return many results on both topics.

4. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    Hi Tim, nice to see another Swansea person on here :) As the other posts say, there are two kinds of loopers - ones that sample and loop the input signal and ones that create effects loops. Speed Music in town usually has the LS2 line selector (effects loop thing)* and the RC20 Loop Station (sampler thing). If it is the sampling type you're after, the Line6 DL4 is also pretty good and fairly easy to get.

*The only downside with the LS2 is that it isn't True Bypass so your signal is always going through the circuitry (not the end of the world, but bothers some). I believe the Looopers are true bypass but there are more expensive.

Cheers,
    Alun

5. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    what would be the best loop/sampler for doing like 4 bass parts at once?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Any of them out there will play 4 bass overdubs at once- all the loopers I've seen go by an alloted time total for the loops, not the number of them. If your bass parts add up to a certain length of time, you just have to make sure the looper can play back that much time.

7. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    The Boss RC 20 and Line 6 DL4 are reasonably affordable and could cope without problems.

Alun