1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loopers, loopers, loopers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by webbyv2, Oct 2, 2008.

1. webbyv2

webbyv2

Mar 9, 2007
    Which one should i get??? :help: Ive dont a bit of research into them, mainly the boss RC2, RC-20 and RC-50, but are there any better ones?? Im only going to use it at home either for practise or home recording. Any advice??

Cheers :)

2. If you want to use a Midi Time Clock w. a drum machine or sync to your guitar players looper o you should get the Lexicon Jamman. It works flawlessly w. Abelton as well.

3. webbyv2

webbyv2

Mar 9, 2007
    na all i want is to loop myself, no drum machine. im not in a band...not many funk/jazz bands around my area :crying:. Anyway thanks for the reply. Keep em comin plz

4. I might suggest the newer Digitech Jamman then...

5. webbyv2

webbyv2

Mar 9, 2007
    Thanxxx

6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...Boomerang...

7. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I have an Akai Headrush...I really haven't spent a ton of time with it...but it's pretty cool...it also has a great delay in it...

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Use the search function at the top of the page and type in "looper". There are a gazillion threads on this.

How much looping do you need? Do you need to record seconds, minutes, or save more than an hour of loops? Do you just want to loop on the fly? There's lots of options for you!

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have the Headrush E2 and the Digi Jamman. The Headrush is somewhat live performance oriented, has rather limited looping time. It is easier to use than the Digi AND it is a great echo... The Digi, while being harder to use is a more useful tool as loopers go if you want to develop ideas and kind of document then pre-recording.

I've had the RC20 XL - note had and have the 2 above...

Tough to tell which would be better for you, I like 'em both for differnt reasons.

If yo don't also have a good recorder- I consider that to be the ffirst buy, not the looper ... most of the recording software I've used will allow for the creation of loops on a mark strt / stop basis. So get an idea going and record it- or play a cd into the recorder. Call up the editor, mark the start & stop points and play over that - some software will let you slow down or speed up the loop relative to everything else.

TheTascam BT series if pretty cool forlooing through sections of cd's and MP3's as well. You can always be the source of the MP3 with the recording software.

Some of the above ois more appropriate to the learning new song / writing a song process for sure. Something like the mbox mini and ProTools (or Pro Tolls as some of us say :D) might be just as good for you as the Jamman. The rea differences come down to work style as much as anything ... I can live without a Looper pedal - life without *Protools though ...

*ProTools can probaly be spelled Cubase LE or GarageBand or Logic or Vegas ... I haven't used any of those others but from what I hear they are all good. PT LE rock's my world though.

10. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    unreliable!

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I'd suggest the RC-2 ro RC-20

I have the RC-2 myself and it works great for me. Plenty of room for looping on the fly.

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    not at all!

13. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    well mine started to distort the signal randomly, loop overdubs in a different way that they have been recorded. also the loop volume knob does nothing till 9 o´clock, then it jumps to a quarter of the range.
    it got shipped back for repairs. the recording and looping worked, but not the loop level knob.
    shipped back again for repairs - they claimed everything works, but it doesn´t. I gave up.

14. moondog24

moondog24

Jun 22, 2008
    I've got an original Lexicon Jamman (no longer available), a Lexicon Vortex (also not available anymore), a Line6 DL4 (very available and a good basic looper), and an Akai DPS24 recorder that allows me to create loops rather easily.

But I am doing this :hyper: because the long-awaited (and I do mean LONG) Boomerang III is supposed to drop this month.

Read about it here:

www.boomerangmusic.com

-Long loop times with improved audio quality
    -Multiple layered loops with undo capability
    -Ability to have loops fade
    -Loops can be synced or freewheeling

Once the 'Rang arrives, my DL4 will become a straight delay pedal and my rack-mounted loopers will be starving for attention at least for a while.

The 'Rang will also cost more than you might be interested in spending. The Headrush might be a good bet. KT Tunstall certainly makes good use of it.

If you really want to delve into the wonderful world of looping, you must visit Looper's Delight (www.loopersdelight.com). There you will find reviews and discussions of every looper in the galaxy and beyond.

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    You got a dud, it happens i suppose. Yeah, it sucks, but its not a bad product when it works, I assure you.

16. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    boss rc-20XL is perfection.

17. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    akai headrush, rc-2 ehx memory man
    they'll all do it

18. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    How long is the memory on the Memory man?

19. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    akai headrush ftw when it comes to simplicity.

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    30 Seconds