Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

loopers or abs or whatever

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by joshsmog, Apr 18, 2004.

1. what are some loopers or a/b pedal that have a blend knob on them so i can blend some of my original signal in with my un affected signal? thanks

2. jaffabass

jaffabass

Mar 28, 2002
    I just bought a Boss LS2 Line Selector which you can set up like a 2 channel mixer, blending some clean tone with your effects. It works really well, especially if you've got a cool sounding pedal (in my case a lovetone big cheese) which sucks out a lot of bottom end; finally I can use the cheese on gigs and still fill out the bottom of the music.

Like all Boss pedals, the line selector isn't true bypass and does add a tiny bit of noise when engaged, but realistically on a gig with all the associated chaos that happens on even the most sedate, acoustic type sets I do, I haven't found it to be a problem. For this and all the other stuff it can do it's also pretty cheap at £60. I don't know what that would be in Canadian dollars.

3. At Loooper, a 1 looper plus blend pot would be about 60 US$,
    And you get to choose your color! :D

4. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Bumpola. I am interested in cleaning up my tangled web of micro-mixer and effects pedals, and either of these seems like it will work.

I will assume that the Boss pedal is a workable option -- it clearly does what I need.

But I am unsure of the (seemingly too good to be true) Looper. Any other input on the Looper's blend knob option? Experience using it w/ various kinds of pedals (i.e. filters, where it might nit be so hot in a loop)?

5. The way the loooper works, it's (apparently) no different from plugging straight into the effects, other than the fact that it can be completeley bypassed. The circuit seems to include no capacitors or such in the signal chain, but only the "switching".

Should work fine with filters or any other effects for that matter...

6. oddity_uk

oddity_uk

Feb 3, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    A word of caution on the blend on Looopers... Now don't get me wrong I love my Loooper, and what I'm saying has been confirmed by Dave. Because the Loooper is true bypass, when you use a fuzz pedal in the loop, you sometimes get an "impedence mismatch problem" between the clean and effected signals, resulting in a high unpleasant squeal like you'd expect from a feedback loop. If you want to use a fuzz pedal or similar in the loop, you might be better with the LS-2. I'm sure if you contact Dave he'll be happy to try and work out if the pedals you want to use will work ok. Whether you like his pedals or not (and I do) you can't fault the guy for customer service

Steve

7. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    This was my concern, that the Loooper won't serve as a half-ass mixer. It sure does seem pretty cool for what it does, though. And the customization options are pretty cool. I was actually going to email Dave about this.

So, any other input on the Boss doohickey? Is it noisy (not so much w/r/t tone coloration, but hiss, hum, etc.)?

8. HEY YOU HIGHJACKED MY THREAD!! :hyper:

so, looks like the boss one is my best bet. thanks.

9. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    D'oh! :eek: Oops!
    Didn't mean to steal your goo, or anything. Seemed like we had the same issue though..... ;)

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The boss one works well enough for my needs. I can blend two signals pretty well with it. My original concern when I got it was that I was losing too much low end through various effects. My problems are now solved.

11. jaffabass

jaffabass

Mar 28, 2002
    As I said earlier, I found the Boss to add a tiny bit of super high end hiss when it's engaged. Having used the pedal on a couple of gigs and rehearsals now I haven't found this to be a problem at all when playing through an amp. The only time I noticed it was when recording through a DI and monitoring through a pair of headphones, always a recipe for exposing every string squeek, buzz and electrical fart.

I'm not a big fan of Boss pedals on the whole but this one has been a really good find. The amount of options and applications it has are pretty extensive, especially given the price.

12. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    +1 for the LS-2 !!

Finally came up with an affordable and fairly nice sounding sollution for signal chain blending. Today! I'm excited :hyper:

Can't wait to try my board out on my main amp, when it comes in :meh: (all I have now is my trusty old 15 watt crate :ninja: )

13. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    I ve heard a German company Nobels makes an unit called SPX-31 Signal Splitter & Mixer.I havent found any reviews about it.check it out in their website www.nobels.com
    I have ordered a boss ls2 myself,havent got it yet,but will let you know when I do a test ride.
    meantime looopers sound cool to me too.