Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chiliwilli, Jul 16, 2002.

1. I was wondering how many of you guys use loopers?? I don't know too many bassists that utilize the loopiness....

although, i saw les and his flying frog brigade on the forth of july.. Les is cool and all, but, that show kinda freaked me out :( haha, but it was SUPER funny :D ... he looped the whole second set

Sooo, anyways, i was just wondering if anyone here uses one, or, if anyone knows any recordings of bassists that use loopers. Loopers can be sweeeet my guitarist/keyboardist has one, we make some pretty sick sounds on that thing

Just Curious!
  2. Loopers, if you are speaking of equipment like "Boomerang" or "Loop Station" are extremely cool tools for the soloing bassist, if you watch Bass Day '98 Vic Wooten uses one extensively. Doesn't make him any less of an extremely talented bassist. He can play 3 or 4 of his musical passages at once and solo over them to boot. Whatever the tool if you come out with a rockin' groove when you are through, and you are playing it into the machine, not just hitting buttons, then go for it. :D
  3. Check out Steve Lawson's stuff (he's on Ask the Pro here too!) at www.steve-lawson.co.uk. Steve is da man when it comes to loops and stuff here in the UK. Also check out Max Valentino (hey! Max also hangs out around here!), Michael Manring also uses loops (he has just joined Steve on Ask the Pro), Mike Dimin uses loops to great effect for jazz progressions (Mike is also Ask the Pro)... There are a whole bunch of guys into loops. Try a search on DL4 or loops and you'll turn up a whole host of threads, mostly under Steve and Michael's Ask the Pro forum.

Loops can be used in loads of different ways when playing bass: to fill in a chord sequence and bass line while soloing over the top (Hi Mike!); to create ambient effects or rhythmic patterns (Hi Max!); to create really bizarre, trippy eletronica-like tones and sequences (Hi Steve!)... The only limit is your imagination. Check out Steve and Max's stuff for the more esoteric uses of looping; and Mike Dimin's stuff for more "conventional" use.

See ya!
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use the lop station, clean, long...long loop time, great machine. My second choice would be the line 6, shorter loop time and a bit frosty sounding to me though.
  5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a Boomerang which I like a lot, but I have only scratched the surface of what it can do. I like to put g**tar, oud, or other instruments on it, and play bass over the top. Or the other way around... I noticed a big improvement in my timing after playing with the looper for awhile.

I had serious technical difficulties with my 'Rang at first; it would sometimes just stop working. The company fixed it, however, and it works fine now.
  6. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I use an Akai Headrush, which is an inexpensive unit to get you into looping/delay. I use mine exclusively as a looper on dance tunes my band covers. Once you lock a line in, just make sure you have a good enough drummer to lock in to your line, or else it can be a trainwreck. I have to hold my drummers hand(figuratively) and shake a tamborine in order for him to stay in time!
  7. I use a boss loop station . This thing is a blast ! Its pretty wild the rythms and melodies you start to hear after a phrase reapeats a few times . I especially like being able to play your loops in reverse . Too much fun ! Well priced for the features also .
  8. Oh yeah the drummer thing !
    " Its a machine it cant be reasoned with !"
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I actually have more trouble with the guitarist locking in than the drummer.
  10. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

....and Hi back to ya MKS! Seriously, thanks for the compliments.
    Yes...I do use loopers a lot. My main two are, as of now, a Lexicon JamMan and Line6 DL4..but I am looking at an EDP (borrowed) right now!!
    Looping, as a technique, can greatly enrich your musical growth. All of the elements which make for good, even great, music must be applied whilst looping; rhythm, melody, harmony, tone, timbre, a balance of frequencies, a good "mix"..and most of all creativity.
    I have found that thru my solo/looping work I have become a much better musician when employed as a "normal" bassist (granted I have been told my bass playing is far from normal :-0). I tend to now hear more possibilites for both sound and silence in the music, and I have learned how to adapt (on the fly) my part or tone to fit the music better.
    and, of course, the use of a looper greatly enhances one's compositional skills....
    I strongly encourage bassists to get into using loopers, if only as a practice tool ( I have turned several of my students onto the DL4). There are several "affordable" units on the market (the DL4, the Boomerrang, Loop Station, and Akai Headrush) as well as a couple of "pro" level units (The EDP, Repeater and those pricey Eventides!)

On a seperate note, of some relation: I have been away on a three week solo tour of the WesternUS (Ca. Ore. Idaho, Colo, Nebraska , South Dakota and Utah) where I did many solo bass/loop shows and each was enthusiastically welcomed (often by audiences who had no idea what looping was!). I find that bass is the perfect instrument for loopage (the tone, the frequency range, dynamic range, expresiveness etc). Were any of you TBers at any of these shows?
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I recently purchased a Boomerang from RS here on Talkbass, and I have only really scracthed the surface as well.

The main thing I have been doing is playing the changes to standards (All of Me, Fly Me to the Moon, All the Things You Are, etc), and then playing the head, and soloing for hours. I think I've done more for my ability to play what I hear in my head in the last month than in the last 2 years.

Another thing I found useful was the ability to tweak my tone. I'll run my bass into the 'Rang, and then into the input of my rig, and play a bass line that is fairly indicative of my style. Once I get a nice loop going, I put my bass down, and twiddle my knobs...so to speak. :D

It really helped make me aware of the tone shaping possibilities of my Alembic SF-2. It certainly is easier than playing, stopping, making changes, playing, stopping, making more changes....This way, I can see instant results with tweaking.

I'm currently working on a loop based recording of the ridiculous tone abilities of the SF-2 to post on Talkbass as an mp3. I know a lot of people are curious as to what they do, but haven't had a chance to play with one.

And, of course, I plan to fully dive into the wonderful world of loop-based improv. I just need to unleash my brain from the prison of 9-10 second sampling that I've been used to for all of these years using a digital delay pedal....

I think every bass player could greatly benefit from a looper--even if it is just for practice. You very quickly learn what works, and doesn't work in a line when you try to play a melody over a bass line.
  12. I'm gonna buy one of the looping pedals as soon as I can afford it, even before I get a decent amp.

I can hear the possibilities in my head already.
  13. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've got a DL4 and I agree that it is a necessary tool for a solo bassist. A word of warning, though: Sell your TV, take the phone off the hook, lock the door and call in sick to work, 'cos you won't want to stop playing with this thing once you start! :p

It does take a fair amount of practice before you'll be able to start and stop loops properly and stay in time (on the DL4, anyway)... but once you have it down pat, the possibilities are endless.