1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looping: Boss RC-3 or DD-7 ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmike62, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

'Morning.

For a few weeks now, I’ve been tinkering with the idea of getting a looper to complete my set-up. I can’t say I will be a big looper meister, but I do see it being a benefit.

What I want ? A second track on certain songs so I play something over it. Is that “want” going to evolve into something else later ? Maybe, but how can I really say at this point ?

I had it narrowed it down to the Boss RC-3 (quelle surprize…). But the more I look at it, the more I get the feeling that this thing is overkill when compared to my basic need. Sure, it can store up to 3 hours of tracks (practically a whole gig-load of second tracks), load’em in a computer, provide rhythm patterns and I can probably get it to do breakfast at the same time. But on a good day, I can make my own eggs & bacon, so I’m probably not going to need most of these features.

In the last few days, I have been looking at little closer at Boss’s DD-7. Again, as with most effects, I don’t use delay all that much, but I season some parts with it occasionally. I find its different modes interesting, particularly the “analog”, “modulate” and of course “hold” modes, which I assume is the looper function. I’m also intrigued by a few settings, such as “room ambiance sound” and “doubling”. It seems quite easy to use (more than the RC-3): step on the pedal once to start recording and once to stop and it starts the playback immediately. In mono, it has 40 seconds of looping capability, which seems plenty for me.

Having a pedal going multiple-duty is not new for me: I also use the Digitech BSW and Marshall RG-1 up and they both do a fine live job.

I’m using a small pedalboard with its 9v power supply and want to stay within those parameters. I’ve looked a bit at the Digitech Hardwire DL-8, but it has 20 seconds of looping.

Anybody else went through this ? What did you end up doing ?

(Sorry for the long post, but as you can see, I've been giving this a bit of thought).

2. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Used Register

Feb 3, 2006
    Longview, TX
    I'm in the same boat- want to be able to lay a simple track down so I can noodle over the top, and I've come to the same conclusion that the DD7 is what I need. I'm just waiting for the time when some extra cash in my bank account intersects with one being available in the classifieds.

3. the way i see it is that if you think that genuinely you will need more on-the-fly looping capabilities than a DD7/TC Flashback/Hardwire DL8 etc can provide then sure you should look at dedicated loopers.

Something like the Boss RC series is really great for live/performance looping, and is a guaranteed hit with solo performers and people who like to layer up live and trigger samples etc.

However I think that if you just want to layer one line over another then you can get that out of a delay like the DD7 - any more than that you could be using home recording software. (Sure, you could write a whole song on an RC3, but it would probably be alot better to use dedicated music production software).