1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looping device (not BLENDER)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ihateusernames, Mar 13, 2010.

1. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    For various live uses I'm wanting to save, on the fly, two distinct bass lines with individual looping control over each. Meaning individual on off for both AND simultaneous playback. (two bass parts looping while I pick up an acoustic to play/sing along)

What is recommended? I've never done this sort of thing and need a point in the right direction.

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Boss RC-50 will most certainly do this as will the EHX 2880. If you're very serious and have lots of cash, get a Looperlative. You could also get a sampler or MPC-style unit and control it with midi.

Most of the smaller units like the RC-20xl, RC-2, most or all of the Digitech Jamman variants, Boomerang, Line 6, etc only do one loop at a time.

3. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Boss RC-50 was the first one that sprang to mind. As Swimming Bird pointed out, there are a couple of other things that will do it.

The guy that I play bass for (see sig) does a lot of live looping and he swears by the Electrix Repeater (so much so that he bought a spare) but they are discontinued, rare, and relatively expensive. Also, I think that you would have to use midi if you wanted to footswitch channels on and off.

4. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    okay. so what then about using two pedals instead of one? what then? that boss is pricey just for loops

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm high on the Boomerang III at the moment. It's promised to have the functions you want in a future firmware update, but for now it doesn't quite meet your description.

One thought, though... I think you will find, for better or worse, your looping ideas ultimately adapt (somewhat) to the hardware / software of your choice. It could be a minor adjustment or maybe a total rethink, but the 'workflow' is probably going to be a meet-in-the-middle of your ideal, the pedal's capability, and hand's on experience.

6. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Loopers are expensive. What you want is a feature that is found on the more comprehensive, and therefore more expensive loopers.

You could try two separate pedals, but they won't be as easy to use or as fully featured as the more expensive models, and I suspect that it will be quite difficult to trigger the loops perfectly in time with each other.

7. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Are software loopers a possibility? A couple of DAW suites (mainly Logic and Ableton Live) are now including impressive loop/phrase devices. Multiple, tempo-sync'd loopers are easy to attain this way.

8. yep there was this thread about software effects, plugins for cubase etc. i found a link to august loop there which is a delay effect software with a looper in it. you can use a midi footswitch with i think but i dont have that or a midi to usb converter

9. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    The main prerequisite is a decent audio interface. Most of those with two preamp inputs will have at least a MIDI in & MIDI out.

What can be problematic, though, is that if you want to include a computer in your signal chain, it gets very bulky unless you centralize all your sound treatment on it.

10. i have a decent sound card but it does not have any midi utilities on it and my keyboard connects directly so i never got around buying a midi-usb interface also because i'd have to buy midi foot switch and then learn to program the software and then only be able to use it at home! so heh nevermind
    but for just looping for fun at home its not bad ie if you have the other stuff already. i dont see it very practical live though

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would also like to point out the Boomerang III. You could also look at the Boomerang+, which was the previous model. They can be had for around $200 I think

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020