Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looping on Computer?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by richnota, Sep 25, 2005.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    Has anyone played with live looping using a Mac/PC? I have Logic on my Powerbook and it seems that a software based system could by very potent.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    There are some great software loopers around - I'm experimenting at the moment with SooperLooper on a G4 iBook, and am still juggling the latency vs stability issue, but it's getting there! :)

On a PC, it seems like Mobius is the way to go...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Funny, I just tried the Linux version of SooperLooper last night and had loads of fun with it. As it was I just used the keyboard and mouse to control it, but it seems like you'd really need some MIDI pedals to make it work well live. I try to avoid using Window$ as much as possible but I'd like to check out Mobius. The Linux Fweelin looper is also loads of fun, with a simple interface.

Like Steve says juggling low latency vs. stability is the trick to make laptop looping work in a live situation.

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
  5. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    thanks everyone...I'll check out your suggestions

6. Wow great discussion, up till reading this I'd been trying to deal with Ambiloop on the PC. Being an owner of 2 EDP's the Mobius sounds like a worthwhile download, and it's free? Wow!
    I can't wait to try it. Anyone want to buy my EDP's? ;)
    Dirk

7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Don't get rid of the EDPs yet - the trickiest thing with any looping software is finding the right interface - you may find that controlling software via MIDI pedals isn't quite tactile enough, compared to the EDP. The 'feel' of the Echoplex is unlike any other bit of looping kit I've used, and it's going to take me a while to find a way to replace it completely...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

8. I found Mobius and sold my EDP, bought a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller... ;) I wasn't a "serious" EDP user anyway, and when I got the FCB1010 I realised I could control Mobius / Ableton Live etc. and I moved entirely to using FX, looping etc. entirely through the laptop. The FCB1010 allows me to control basic EDP functions on Mobius by having one bank for general functions (Record, Overdub, Multiply, Insert, Undo, Reverse, Substitute, Mute, NextLoop) and another bank for SUS versions of these, a third bank for controlling Live5 and FX etc...

I had yesterday off work on holiday and came up with a few new tracks. I'll post them somewhere sensible later.

I must also say though, that Mobius is a fabulous piece of software - not only does it handle most of the EDP functionality, in some cases it goes beyond standard functions. The software writer (Jeff Larson) is a great guy and updates Mobius frequently, listens to user feedback and implements lots of cool stuff regularly. the Zonemobius Yahoo group is worth checking out for more info.

9. Hey Steve, and everyone else of course. :)
    Well I finally got a chance to play with Mobius for a while and I'm very impressed. I am a hardcore EDP fan and have been since the first ones were built. Both mine are Oberheims and I stopped using their pedal long ago opting for midi control after loopIII. So I have no problems adapting the midi pedal feel with Mobius. I have been fairly happy with the Behringer other than the CC pedals not taking volume all down to 0, they stop at about 21 or so. And yeah the multiple bank thing is the way to go, but I can see the advantage of using several Mobius setups depending on what configuration I wanted to use. After only playing a short time I can see some Ebay sales soon. I recently got rid of my Eventide since I can really get the sounds I like in software now. If the experiment goes well I may not have to take a rack at all to gigs from now on. :) And that makes me smile.
    Oh yeah and the display in Mobius just makes sense, I'm so tired of only a 2 digit display.
    What a great time we live in for technology, it can only get better.
    Dirk

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Just wondering if people have had enough faith in these software loopers to use 'em in a live performance setting. If so, curious about what sort of setup (computer specs, type of interface, frames/ms. latency, etc.) works well.

11. Interesting to hear your experiences Dirk. ;) I've heard that calibration on the FCB1010's CC pedals can sometimes be a problem but I believe there's a quick and fairly painless fix to recalibrate them. I'll dig it out and add the link...

[EDIT]http://www.altrion.org/fcb1010/post.html

12. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I'm sorry, but it was referred that Mobius is free? where can I download it then?

13. Hey MKS,
    Thank you a bunch for the help, I never did any research on the problem, just dealt with it, good to know I'm not the only one.

Hello Winston,
    I haven't taken it out on a gig yet, but I do have confidence in my setup. Once I have it setup properly with controls I will take it out. I did take the rig out for keys/synth use all night last week and it was rock solid no problems at all. Pro-Star custom P4 3.2ghz, 60Gb 7200 rpm, 1 gig ram, 800FSB, M-Audio firewire 1814 sound card for most things about 5ms latency or less.

And Oversoul go right here:
    http://www.zonemobius.com/download.html

Cheers,
    Dirk