1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looping with a laptop-what's needed?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phippsyg, Aug 26, 2007.

1. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    Guess it's an effect..so didn't really know where else to post this.
    Am looking to start doing some live looping gigs but heres my quandry. I am hanging (like many) for the new electrix repeater to come out...eventually.

So rather than fork out cash for something whilst waiting, what do I need to be able to loop live with a laptop?
    Thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Get a copy of the program "Ableton Live". It's an insanely good looping tool. However, unless you get a cracked copy from a "friend", it's not cheap.

3. Ableton is great, but to use it live you will probably find you'll need a MIDI foot control surface. Personally I would rather insert cold squid tentacles into my ears than use a laptop in a live situation...

4. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    Cold Squid tentacles?...thats funny. Am looking at it as a temporary means. Rather than buy a pedal I want to replace fairly soon I thought I could use the laptop for now. I have seen Electrix have released software for looping. How does the midi foot controller work and where would I get one. What other hardware would I need. Would I run-laptop, my presonus box, foot controller and bass?

5. I'm assuming you mean "Repeater"?

I'm the wrong guy to ask about MIDI - all I know is that you cannot loop effectively without some form of control that doesn't require that you grow extra arms! You will need a way of feeding MIDI into your laptop as well, but aside from that it looks like you've got the rest covered.

6. Are you implying that a 'Blue Screen Of Death' doesn't work so well in a live situation?

7. Nah, it works fine, provided you're happy for your musical set to suddenly become a stand-up routine with no gags prepared - ie; unfunny.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Personally I can understand your preference for cold squid tentacles, I rather like them jammed in my ears too. That said, Ableton Live does not require an external MIDI controller, although I get what you're suggesting- in order to stand, play bass, and not reach over/down to hit key commands with your hands, you would want some sort of footswitch controller to start/stop playback and recording of loops. If you don't want to get another external controller, it's reasonable enough to set the laptop on a little table within easy quick reach.

Again, to be clear to the OP, you don't need MIDI or a MIDI controller to use your laptop for looping. But if you end up wanting to use some method other than key commands (typing on your laptop's keyboard or using a mouse) to control the looping, then you start getting into MIDI. You can read about the controllers on the various retailer websites like Sweetwater, Musiciansfriend, etc. as well as on Ableton's forum, and on electronic-music production forums.