Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looping

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by boofis, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Hey
    What do loopers do? Can you get some that you just playa riff into and it will play it all over and over again? Cos if so thats what I want cos I'm doing a bit of solo stuff lately and I need something to play the bass when I'm going up top. :D Anyway what can you recommend of things along those lines? Is the boomerang good?
    Thanks
    Troy

2. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    yes...loop programs are about taking a riff (1 bar or more) and having it loop over and over....loops can be as long as you want (or short)

Acid by Cakewalk is good, and can alter the loops so it plays well in different tempos

3. Sweet. Am looking into it. So a looper is what I want. :D
    Thanks
    Troy

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Boofis,

a hardware looper is slightly different in concept to the software loopers that introvox is talking about, and I think from you're initial question, what you're asking for is a pedal that will allow you to do it live.

There are quite a lot of them around now, and a visit to www.loopers-delight.com would be a great idea as an introduction to the whole concept.

Gear-wise, the cheapest units around are the Akai Headrush, Line 6 DL4 and Roland RC-20 - do a search on talkbass for each of those and you'll get some info, or see the manufacturers websites.

Going up a level from there you've got the Boomerang, and then the best of the bunch, the Gibson Echoplex, which is what I use.

All these boxes will allow you to record a phrase in real time, and have it loop round and round, layering other things on top, and will give you varying degrees of editing options beyond that...

software loopers like Acid, Ableton Live and others are more of either a studio tool, or a DJ tool for looping and mixing prerecorded material - it may be possible to record direct into them and loop it, but it's not the main purpose in the way that it is with the pedals I've listed

have fun!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. Hey
    Thanks Mr. Lawson thats the thing I'm after! Ill try out theakia headrush the review doesn't read bad for a starter model.
    Thanks
    Troy