1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loose Cloverleaf on Tuner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassicJohn, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I have a couple of tuners where the cloverleaf is loose in the slot in the shaft. It allows them to rattle on certain notes. Is there a glue or other way to reattach them securely or should I just replace the tuners?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Brand-name tuners or something else? Can the cloverleaf button actually be removed from the shaft? A recent thread addressed problems with the Hipshot "Y" tuner buttons.

Riis

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Clean the keys. Carefully wick a drop of two of liquid thin super glue into the shaft. Anything that hardens on the key can be scraped off after it hardens with a sharp razor blade and a steady hand.

4. Hi.

Locktite (and others) makes quite a few different products for securing threads and even quite worn bearings. Some fill gaps of 0,2mm with no worries.

Will usually cost an arm and a leg though compared with normal CA.

An auto or MC repair shop can probably help, a drop or two wouldn't cost a cent if someone came to my door asking for that kind of help.

Regards
    Sam

5. I believe that they are older Grovers similar to the current 142. I originally thought that they were Shaller BMLs because of the style of the string winding pegs, but the gears are angle cut like on Grovers. The cloverleaf is just loose, it is still attached to the shaft. The superglue idea sounds like it should work well. Thanks to all.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    We stock a variety of Loctite-type products including what we call the "red-stuff". It must be some serious sh** as it can only be loosened with high heat. Tony, our biomed guy, uses it for wheelchair repairs. Must work as I have yet to see any of our WCs on the shoulder up on jacks.

Riis