Loose E string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shatner, Dec 28, 2004.

1. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    My Marcus Fender E string doesn't really feel tight. When tuned up to concert pitch the other strings feel tight and don't buzz. My E just feels looser, buzzes more and sounds more 'dead' than the others.
    What could cause this? Is it possible to tighten the E? When tuned up about a tone and certainly a third, it is sweet.
    Everything is set up OK. Relief, intonation and action are all fine. I use DR LoRiders.

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i've been reading a lot of posts about "dead" e-strings lately.....including one i started.

sorry don't have any advice......except for maybe get rid of the bass like i did. :)
  3. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    My advice is get a new E string, and see what the difference is. its probably just loosening up after a real good play, try other strings if all fails..or Cut the string short before putting it on the bass might help. so then you will have to tune it tighter to get the E.
  4. I tend to notice what you're describing on basses when the E string's action is set a bit too low. When I raise the action a bit, the string always feels like it has more tension. The lighter the string's gauge, the softer it will feel as well, so you might want to consider a heavier E string.

I had my action set really low on my bass, and noticed a dead sounding E, even though I could not hear any buzzing. The string can be be fretting out and losing some sustain, even when you don't notice any buzzing. The E needs a bit more room to vibrate freely.

And last (but not least).. Check to make sure your pickup height is not set too close to the E... In extreme cases the magnetic field can kill the strings vibration.

Just a few ideas..

5. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Check to make sure the string is feeding off the bottom of the wound spiral from your tuner and that you have enough windings above it (3 or 4). I once had a problem with the A string on my American Fender Jazz. I thought I needed a string tree for the A String. Putting another loop in the spiral pushed the string down on the nut enough to solve the problem of a loose string.