1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loose e string.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Meat, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Meat

Meat

Oct 24, 2010
    hey i have a loose e string. it holds a tune but it makes me sound very sloppy trying to play on it. is there some way to tighten it so that i can play better?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Are you tuning it to "E"? What gauge is it?

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, tell us the scale of your instrument and the gauges of all the strings you have on it :) . Could it be that you have the action on that string set too low? The "E" swings more than the others so needs the bridge saddle to be a bit higher than the rest sometimes - especially with low tension strings.

4. Meat

Meat

Oct 24, 2010
    im tunning regular eadg, as for gauge i have no idea. All i can say is that it is stock strings that came already on the bass. (sorry i'm very new)

also while i have you guy's attention, how can you tell when its time to get strings replaced?

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Sounds like you really need to take it to a shop that can set it up for you - not much we can do for you without some basic knowledge on your part. Better yet you should take some lessons - then your teacher can take a look at your bass and help you with it :) . Where are you located?

6. Meat

Meat

Oct 24, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. and yea that would probably be best. i dont know of any places where i can get it checked out locally though. i may end up taking it to nashville somewhere.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    How about this place: http://www.billsbluegrass.com/index.html

You change your strings when they've lost enough "zing" to make you want new ones. Provided your using a tuner to tune your bass, you'll probably want strings that are heavier in gauge than what you have now. BTW, you can't change the tension unless you change the pitch (i.e. raise the pitch) or the laws of physics.

P.S. Lawrenceberg has a cool looking town square!

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Get new strings, heavier gauge. You can't "tighten up" that one.

9. Meat

Meat

Oct 24, 2010
    ok, thank you both for the help, and yes i love where i live. great town.

10. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Almost all string sets have the E string at a lower tension than the other strings, causing it to flop around. I would recommend buying a tension balanced set, or building your own set from singles strings so that the strings have equal tension. A tension balanced set with a nice tight E string would be something like 110 85/80 60 45.

The D'Addario tension chart pdf has all you need to know to design your own sets.

If you move to a heavier conventional set, the E will be tighter, but it will still be loose compared to the other strings.