1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

loose ear on my machine head

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Shaky, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Shaky

Shaky

Jul 6, 2006
    Roanoke, VA
    I recently aquired a peavey foundation 5-string bass. I noticed right off the bat that the ear on the G machine head was loose and rattling. Of course you can't hear it when it is plugged in but I still wished it did not rattle.

Has anyone ever tried superglue to fix one of these?
    Any suggestions?

I would rather live with the loose ear then to use a rubberband.

Thanks

2. I haven't had this problem, but my thought is that epoxy would be a better choice. Though superglue is strong, it is not flexible. In this application I think it would end up breaking apart. Epoxy is far more giving . By the way, good choice on your purchase. I have three foundation fours.

3. Shaky

Shaky

Jul 6, 2006
    Roanoke, VA
    I had wondered about the flexability issue and though about using epoxy but I liked the idea of the superglue being clear and thin. You are probably right that it would eventually break loose again. I guess I could pull the ear all the way out of the post and epoxy it back in.

Thanks for the comment about the Foundation being a good choice. I was really wanting a 5-string bad, and happened upon this one which I traded an acoustic for. I was a little dissapointed when I found out the body was made of Poplar but if I go by the way it sounds, I have really been impressed.

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Super glue is the answer. It is the poor man's Loctite.

1. Clean and degrease the tuner.
    2. Place a drop some liquid thin super glue in the joint between the ear and the shaft on both sides.
    3. Wipe up any overflow with a paper towel.
    4. Wait a couple of minutes.
    5. Tuner is now stable.
    6. If it is not, repeat sequence.

Liquid thin CA glue will wick through the joint and cure in place. It's just like using Loctite on a threaded connection. There is no way to get epoxy to where it is needed. It will just sit on the tuner like an ugly lump.

5. Shaky

Shaky

Jul 6, 2006
    Roanoke, VA
    Thank you 202dy
    I just left it alone, and I am glad I did. I decided if I tried to pull the ear out or use epoxy I would more than likely have ended up with a mess. I will try the superglue. I don't know why I didn't in the first place. The worst that could happen is make a mess and have to use fingernail polish remover to clean it up.