1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loose fret...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xolin, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Hey, I was wondering if there is an at home fix for this. The first fret (F on the Estring) is popping out a bit at the low B and E on my bass. The neck is straight to my eye, so how would I get this sucker back in there without damage?

Thanks!

2. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I can't answer your question but I'm interested in hearing a response. I have a similiar problem on my GSR200, the 14th and 15th fret have visibly popped up a tad, but only underneath the A string. It sucks I can't play it but heck it's only 1 note, and way up on the fretboard I hardly play there anyways. I filed that sucker down but I recently lowered my action and its back up there. I even tried to hammer that sucker back in there but that didn't work either. Bah.

3. When it happened to me, I CAREFULLY hammered the fret back into place while exerting pressure on the end I wasn't hammering. It went back into place and I haven't had any more problems. That was about a year ago.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you could go to a hardware store and get some small quik clamps. The have a rod that they ride on and a handle to close/open them with. You put one on the one side of the fret and on on the other and slowly push it in. If you have a problem with the middle popping up, add a bigger third one to it to help with that. Or, stewmac has some good fret seating tools if you are willing to spend money.