Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loose fret...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xolin, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Hey, I was wondering if there is an at home fix for this. The first fret (F on the Estring) is popping out a bit at the low B and E on my bass. The neck is straight to my eye, so how would I get this sucker back in there without damage?

Thanks!

2. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I can't answer your question but I'm interested in hearing a response. I have a similiar problem on my GSR200, the 14th and 15th fret have visibly popped up a tad, but only underneath the A string. It sucks I can't play it but heck it's only 1 note, and way up on the fretboard I hardly play there anyways. I filed that sucker down but I recently lowered my action and its back up there. I even tried to hammer that sucker back in there but that didn't work either. Bah.

3. When it happened to me, I CAREFULLY hammered the fret back into place while exerting pressure on the end I wasn't hammering. It went back into place and I haven't had any more problems. That was about a year ago.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you could go to a hardware store and get some small quik clamps. The have a rod that they ride on and a handle to close/open them with. You put one on the one side of the fret and on on the other and slowly push it in. If you have a problem with the middle popping up, add a bigger third one to it to help with that. Or, stewmac has some good fret seating tools if you are willing to spend money.