Loose fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DaionSavage, Mar 27, 2005.

1. DaionSavage

Mar 22, 2005
    So I finally broke down to give my old companion some TLC, the fretboard has become loose on top of the neck the first 5-6 frets, I'm thinking i would just glue it as it is and put it under pressure, or should i try to sand old glue residues off first or even remove the whole fretboard and sand all of it down? I read that it can get warped when you remove it "steam-iron style (housewife kung fu)" and i guess it would be tricky to get it back on the neck if that happens...
    The neck is also a little cracked by one of the bolt holes where it is attached to the body, can i just glue that as well and maybe drill a small hole from the side to put a screw there to secure it?
    I was just thinking if someone had any tips and suggestions before i start open bass surgery...

Thanks in advance

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am bumping this back up and moving it to Setup. Surely one of our repair gurus there has experience with this.
  3. DaionSavage

Mar 22, 2005
    Oops wrong room..Thank you for the bump Embellisher!
  4. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    If it were mine, I'd squirt a little wood glue and clamp it down. Removing the whole fretboard would make me just a little nervous, a lot can go wrong...

I vote against shooting a screw across the splintered neck, it's too easy to cause more damage. Pre-drill and countersink if you do it anyway. If it bothers you that much, you might take the neck off the bass, glue and clamp, then put it back together when it dries.