Loose hairs after new rehair

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by DONP1217, Mar 31, 2005.

1. DONP1217

Feb 6, 2005
    I just got my bow rehaired and I am concerned about the quality of work. I've only had the bow back for about a day and have played it for 2 - 3 hours. I have already lost three hairs to breakage and there are five or six hairs on the bow that are extremely loose. They are not taut even after tightening the bow more than I normally would.

Is this normal for a new rehair? I've only had bows with hair from the factory and none of them have exhibited these symptoms. All of the bows I have owned or used have had a nice thin strip of even tensioned hair.

This particular bow had white hair from the factory and was rehaired with salt and pepper.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It's very common to loose a few at first.

Some luthiers will use a flame to even the tension of the hairs. Others say it shortens the overall life of the hair and choose not to. It's no big deal. Tense the hair as you normally would when playing.

If the loose ones really bother you, pull or clip them out, ( I usually do) but leaving them won't hurt anything.
  3. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    For anybody in the Los Angeles Area, Stein on Vine is the place to go. I go there all the time for any of my Double Bass needs. I recently got my new bow rehaired black from them, and ya I did notice a few loose hairs. Otherwise, the sparratic string breakage is uncommon to me. Doesn't seem too much of an emergency unless half your hair stash is ripping out...