1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loose Input Jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BellBottomBlues, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    For some reason the input jack on my 57 RI keeps coming loose, as in the nut and washer assembly on the pickguard. I keep retightening it with my fingers, but I wonder if there is something I can do where I don't have to keep doing this. Eventually something in the inside is bound to snap.

2. ElectroStompbox

ElectroStompbox

May 20, 2007
    take it out and tighten it snugly with a wrench.......im not if it would work but im dont see y you couldnt use lock tite on the threads......:p

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    As you have found out, tightening with your fingers is not going to keep the components from coming loose. Locktite will be problematic if and when more work has to be performed at the jack.

1. Remove the pickguard.
    2. Examine the back of the guard. There should be a star washer between the output jack and the pickguard. If not, add one.
    3. Grip the jack with one hand and tighten the nut with a wrench.
    4. Or use a pair of slip joint pliers, pad the jaws and use the tool on the jack instead of your hand. It works better.
    5. Replace the pickguard.
    6. Play your favorite line.

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Tighten with something other than your fingers, like a wrench. Pressure alone isn't holding it in place and it should be able to take more force than what you're giving it. Don't strip it of course. And if it does break, it wasn't quality in the first place and needed to be replaced.