Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loose neck/bending neck? Help? Please...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jasonc, May 18, 2005.

1. jasonc

jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hi. I need some assistance. I searched, but couldn't find any clear explanation or advice.

I have a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (which is a bolt on neck, and strung w/Fender.45-.110's). I love the bass, it plays great, and stays in tune.

I have one problem/issue though.

While putting it in it's case the other day I noticed something.
    I laid it down into the case, and while putting it down I pushed down very lightly near the headstock/nut. When I did this the neck seemed to straighten slightly and all 4 strings got tighter and touched all of the frets (from headstock to last fret which is over the body). It struck me as odd, so I did it again. Pressed down lightly, and the strings went down to the fret board. It doesn't take much of an effort to push down for this to happen.

I had never noticed this on any other bass i've owned, but I never looked for it either. I haven't touched the Truss Rod on this bass, as it was set up perfectly when I received it, and as I said - it plays great - really great. I was just wondering if this is something that is not normal, and might be a problem down the road.

Would tightening the neck fix this problem (if it is a problem)? Or should I not worry? (* I've never tightened a neck before - if I need to, is it easy?)

Appreciate any advice/input.

Thanks!

2. Dude, I would consider this a normal reaction to backwards pressure against the string tension... slightly exxagerated by the fact that this neck in known to be on the "thin side". Doesn't make it less stable...you can get just about any neck to do that.

No different a phenomena then when you bend the neck slightly backwards against yer knee before adjusting the trussrod (you're taking a bit of the brunt force off the wood to ease adjustments)...

3. Yeah, think about it, a bass neck is approximately 30 in. long, and regardless of the bass pretty thin compared to a straight 2 X 4. Im sure a neck made from something like wenge would bend less, and most guitar necks don't flex as much due to the shortened legnth.

4. jasonc

jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Okay. After I posted the thread I went home on my lunch break...

You ever tend to "overthink" things - which leads to "irrational thinking"...

Well I went home to try this again (Joshua: I had my bass lying flat in my bass case, on the floor, then pressed down on the head stock, near tuning pegs. I can push it down, which tightens the strings because the neck is flat, not bowed). Anyhow, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. It moves a little bit, and the strings do infact tighten- but not to the point I expressed in my originaly post. I over reacted. I guess it was something that i've never noticed before w/any of my other basses... I'm sure it's fine.

Like I said, it plays perfect. Has a good low action. Stays in tune, intonation is great. It just freaked me out a little - okay, a lot - when I saw it bend a little.

I haven't had it long so my mind tends to go negative - a true pessemist!

Anyhow, thanks for the help/advice. Glad to know a "tiny bit" of wobble is normal -- i think!

Thanks!

5. Isn't the neck on the Geddy bass shaved? If so, that would explain why it might be a little more sensitive to pressure than somthing with a stouter neck. As long as it plays well, sounds good, intonates correctly and doesn't require constant adjustments, I'd say you've got a non-problem.

6. lonote has it nailed. My MIJ 62 reissue Jazz has a very thin neck probably not unlike the Geddy and I can do this so it's not unusual at all. The important thing is that it's stable in the playing position. Also, as far as setup goes, it makes sense do do your setups with the bass in the playing position too.