1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loose Neck Screws...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ZenG, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. That's one thing I don't check when I buy a bass. I never give the neck screws a second thought.

So yesterday I decided , just for curiosity, to check the neck screws on all the basses I have.

Every single one I had screws that weren't , in my view, in as good as they could be.

(But don't get me wrong...I didn't overtighten them).

But one bass I had two screws on it that were actually loose.

To the point that when I tightened them up I had to readjust my string height.

I'd been playing it for a couple of years now like that and never bothered to check...:rollno:

Just sayin'...

2. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Be happy that's it's not the opposite. On the first and only parts bass I've built, the screws are jammed in and won't budge.

ZenG likes this.
  3. Oh Jeez...:woot:

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    You should periodically check ALL the screws on your bass - like every time you do a setup. That includes the neck screws, bridge screws, tuner screws, strap button screws, and the nut on the output jack. These all may start off tight, but the vibrations from playing have a way of working many of those screws loose.

Warhawk, Jamie_Funk, 96tbird and 4 others like this.