loose nut fix

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by C-5KO, Jun 16, 2005.

1. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    do i use glue to fix a loose nut?

my bass has a 0 fret, and it seems the nut pulls towards the g string. every couple of songs i have to push it back.
  2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I just fixed a similar problem on a friend's bass. His case was rather extreme due to misaligned tuners (the E string would pull the nut off the bass side of the neck). Glue works, provided the strings aren't pulling too terribly hard. Use a white glue like Elmers or carpenters glue since it can be loosened with heat if you ever need to replace the nut. Stay away from superglue or epoxy unless you're sure the nut will never need to be replaced.

For my friends bass even glue wouldn't do it so I ended up putting a pin down through the slot for the E string and into the neck and then using carpenters glue to hold the whole thing in place. It seems to have solved the sliding problem (hopefully) once and for all.

3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks. I wasn't sure what kind of glue I should use. I remember once a friend did some homemade repairs on his upright with the wrong glue, and when he took it to a proper repair shop, they gave him :rollno: :rollno: :rollno: . So I figured there probably was a right and wrong way for electric also. Of course my thinking of using superglue was the wrong way. ;)