Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loose Screws on an Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Palladora, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Palladora

Palladora

Aug 2, 2005
    I've always wanted to play bass for pretty much my whole life, so you can imagine my joy when I bought a brand new Ibanez GSR200 from my sisters boyfriend (at the time) for $100. Well it's working out great, I love the bass whether I should or not, but lately I haven't been playing as much because the screws that hold the strap on keep falling out. The holes are stripped, and normally I would just get slightly bigger screws, but I tried that and they don't fit through the cone-looking-washer-type-things (sorry I don't know the real name of anything), so I was wondering how I should fix this?

2. Eoghan

Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Australia.
    I have the same bass, and mine DIDNT have this problem! They did jiggle just a little, but not come out. I bought a DiMarzio ClipLock strap - nothing I can say thats bad about it. It comes with 2 screw sizes and new washers, so no more jiggle.

3. I had the same problem with my BC Rich. I just filled the hole about halfway with superglue and then put the screw in there as tight as I could and left it to sit overnight. It hasn't come out again since then. Just be careful filling the hole and fitting the screw, since the superglue will really ruin your paint job.

4. you could get a longer screw and/or fill whith superglue.. i did this on my old Ibanez.. worked great

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You can jam the hole with tothpicks and wood glue, or do a little less superglue, and use just one toothpick. This will give it a little more wood material to grip onto.

6. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    This has been covered quite a bit on this forum... the real solution is to put some white glue (or wood glue) in the hole, and then fill the hole with toothpicks (wooden match sticks work as well) and let the glue set completely (overnight is preferred). Once everything's cured, do some cleanup (trim the toothpicks if necessary) and reinstall the screws. This is THE real solution!

7. I hope i wont have to resort to this anytime soon, my BTB has started coming loose at the strap, well, whenever i notice the screw is loose i tighten it up, hopefully wont be a problem in the future

my guitarists ibanez RG exploded at the end of a gig once, well, by exploded, i mean as he hit the last note the strap pin fired itself out of the guitar taking about 1/3 of the upper horn out the guitar in shards of wood, looked impressive as hell after he got over the fact his newish £450 guitar had fallen appart

8. I dont know, but toothpicks just dont scream "sturdy" to me like superglue does. Whatever works for ya though.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I used a little bit of both. The wood glue and toothpicks works great for me. But, I have also used CA glue (superglue), and it works as well.