Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loose Strap Locks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, May 6, 2003.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    About 3 years ago I installed a set of Dunlap strap locks and now today the bridge peg is becoming loose. Even after just standing and playing they need to be tightened afterwards. I'm just wondering if there was something i could do (ie wider screws, longer screws....)
    Thanks

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I had a J-Bass that had a horn peg that would always back out. It wasn't stripped or anything. It tightened up very nicely, but the vibrations would cause it to back out every time. I broke wooden toothpicks off in the hole and added some Elmer's glue. I tightened it up about a year ago. It hasn't moved since.

3. The toothpick one is the best, another I have used is Teflon tape on the screw.

4. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea my bass had the same problem. I used the toothpick method. It may sound stupid, but after about 9 months, it never has gotten even a bit loose.

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Try the toothpick thing one more time, but this time put in longer screws and pre drill them. And instead of white glue (Elmer's glue) use some wood glue.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    longer screws will always help

or... bigger screws..

D

7. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I have a problem with the strap lock on my corvette standard, I bought it from Until.Tomorrow for a great price, what keeps happening is the lock button on the strap keeps coming out of the strap lock on the horn, the type of strap locks I have are where you push the lil button on the part on the strap and insert it into the other piece on the bass, they are recessed into the bass, do i just get new buttons, a whole new strap lock assembly?
    thanks
    peace
    -Ben

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Just call Warwick in Cali. (Dana B. Goods). Tell them your problem. They'll send you new inserts to screw into the bass anit'll fix you right up. Common problem that I had with my thumb V. that's one reason they don't do the inlaid strap locks any more. Also connect the srap and leave it there. Don't keep pulling it out, it wears the inside diameter of the strap lock after awhile, then they fall out. I've done it this way since I switched them out and have had zero problems since. I use this bass to gig 2-3 times a week.

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thank you, hey by the way do you have any contacts for Warwick of Cali? thanks
    peace
    -Ben

10. when i put straplocks on my rick. the holes were too big since the rick uses bolts...:)
    i put in a small plastic masonry plugs and the straplock screws fitted straight in tight....
    when i sold the rick and took off the straplocks.i just pulled out the plugs with thin nosed pliers.
    there was no damage to the threads in the rick holes.
    btw i have used broken toothpicks as well on other slack screws..mainly scratchplate and body screws...they work!!
    :cool: