Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loose Tone Knob--I know im an idiot

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tiredman9, Sep 1, 2005.

1. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Ok i have searched for the answer but i am just and idiot and am still not getting it (the search feature on talkbass)

My bass has a tone knob and the knob is loose and it has no resistance when i trz to spin it. IT is one of the withch hat stzle knobs that says tone on top and is numbered from 1-10. There are no screws on it, or under it in the control cavity and as far as i can see nothing i can reach under it.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Get two pieces of dental floss and put them under the knob so that one strand is one each side of the shaft. Grab all four ends of the floss and pull straight up. The knob should come off easily, at which point you can tighten the nut that holds the pot in place.

If the pot is freely spinning 360 degrees, then a wire must have broken off inside the control cavity. You'll want to get that soldered/replaced so your tone will work again.