Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loose Tone Knob (Newbie here)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Manix_08, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Manix_08

Manix_08

Dec 27, 2004
    I just noticed that the tone knob on my Squier Affinity P-Bass is loose. I can jiggle it up and down and it feels very loose when turned. What can I do? Like I said I'm a newbie and am just learning so my knowledge of the bass is more than the "common man" but I am still comparatively ignorant.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do those knobs have little screws on the side? If so, tighten it.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If it's a white plastic knob, pull it off, and use a crescent wrench to tighten the nut under it and then jam the knob back on.

If there's a screw on the side of the knob, undo it, pull off the knob, and tighten the nut, then put the knob back on and screw.

Easy, but confused me the first time too. Don't worry, your bass isn't dying...yet :)

4. Manix_08

Manix_08

Dec 27, 2004
    The knob is nearly flush to the pick guard on the vol. knob i can see where there is a nut under the knob but it looks impossible to get to.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Grab a shoelace, pull it tight so it's under the knob, wrap it around once and pull straight off the bass, make sure you're pulling perpendicular to the surface. May have to pull hard but make sure you're holding down the pickguard around the area.