Loose tuner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Nov 10, 2003.

1. I was playing my five string today, and I noticed that the B string tuner is loose. If I shake it, it will pop into another place. I am not sure how to tighten this. Any help here?
  2. Freaky, are your tuners open type or closed?
  3. Closed. They are also Gotoh.
  4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I replaced the piddly little screws that held the tuners on my MIM years ago, with stainless steel 6 x 1/2 sheet metal screws (which you can probably get at any hardware store). They're significantly larger than the stockers, but they just fit through the holes. I recommend loosening your strings a little bit and replacing each screw one-at-a-time (you may want to loosen all the screws just a bit, but you probably don't want to remove the entire tuner and then reinstall it). Use a little bit of clear nail polish on each screw. The polish not only helps lube the screws as they go in, but when it dries it will help keep the screws in place. Make sure you use a quality Phillips screwdriver to drive 'em in and snug 'em up. If I had one to spare, I'd show you the size difference, but apparently, I used 'em all! If I decide to get adventurous, I'll pull one out and scan it with one of the originals, then post it here for you to see.

Good luck.

5. I was thinking more along the lines of a monkey wrench or something...
  6. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin

The upper screw (the silver one) is the Fender stocker. The black one is very similar to the replacements I used.

EDIT: Make sure you score yourself the pan-head variety (the underside of the head, where it will meet the tuner, is flat, not tapered).
  7. I think I've seen this before. I bet that you are missing the little bushing (plastic ring) that is between the tuner stalk and the body of the tuner. These can break out and it leaves a rattly fit. As a quick fix (and very likely the last one you'll need) is to take some...now don't laugh...white dental floss and tie it around the tuner in the vacant slot and begin tightly winding the dental floss around the post. When you've filled the slot, tie it off and burn back the ends with a lighter. This repair will look remarkably like the original and really keeps the 2 pieces of the tuner tight against each other.

Hope this helps
  8. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    That's the point. The bigger threads take up the space that was left unoccupied by the stock screws, which means the tuner can't move out of its proper position.
  9. could you identify the stalk and body of the tuner? I don't quite get what point you're trying to make. Maybe a diagram of it?
  10. Your tuner has a round "body" that contains the gears, with a "stalk" protruding from the side. This contains the shaft that connects the worm gear in the body with the flared tuner head. Since the tuner head spins inside this stalk, there needs to be a bushing around the shaft to center it and keep it from banging into the "stalk". That's what is likely missing.

Sorry, no way to post pics right now.
  11. I assume I have to take off the tuner to do this
  12. Not at all. If you've located this little ring (or slot where the ring used to be) around the stalk, you can easily begin winding the floss into the slot without taking the tuner off.
  13. should the ring be clear colored? because if it is, then I have it. The whole tuner moves. I think it has more to do with a screw than the tuning head. But then again, I really just started coming into setup thourghly about a week ago.
  14. The ring can be clear, black or white. My Gotoh's on my Kawai are gold with white rings but I've seen all of the others.

There is only 1 screw for this fix. Is it that the screw is loose, missing, or what? If it's there but loose, you can remove it and break a toothpick off in the hole and reset the screw.

Don't forget to tighten the metal bushing on the front of the headstock. That can get loose too and make for some interesting sounds.
  15. I've tightened the latter two, but I just don't see where I am suppose to tie the dental floss.
  16. OK, let's try this...

Find the portion of the tuner that you grab and twist. Look at it carefully and follow the stalk down about ½". Just below that top that you turn is a seam. Inside THAT seam are the bushings. Look carefully to see that there are no missing bushings - compare it to the others.
  17. Hambone. Found where to tie dental floss and did the step, didn't help anything. I compared it to my MIM Jazz 4 string, and I think my nut is cut to high, or it's just a lemon bass.