1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loose Tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hoshbrown41, Nov 15, 2010.

1. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Jun 19, 2009
    I recently bought a used '91 Fretless Jazz bass and am fairly happy with it, except the tuners are causing some concern.

They seem to be fine when under tension, but when I was changing the strings I noticed they're fairly loose and wobble a fair amount back and forth. Am I right to be worried and should I look into replacing them?

If so any recommendations for replacements would be nice. Preferably not ultralites cause I don't dig the look.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you're talkin' the string post itself, not to worry. There's a small amt. of play or wobble with all tuners when the strings are removed. If not, the tuners would be tremendously difficult, maybe impossible, to turn.

If you're experiencing the same looseness or play with the keys, that's a different story. Some are tension variable, others are not.

BTW, this interaction between the two tuner gears is why you should always tune up to pitch, never down.

Riis