1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loose tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sjobi 1, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Sjobi 1

Sjobi 1

Nov 23, 2009
    I have a 1989 Fender Precision bass Plus. The tuners are a little loose for my liking. They turn really easily and the low E has a slight amount of slop if you wiggle the key around. They seem to keep the guitar in tune very well, but I'm not used to having tuners feel so loose. Just going by how the the tuning keys feel on my other bass and my guitar. Is there anything I can do to tighten them up and make them slightly less easy to turn?

2. Fender style open tuners can be tightened up as they wear. Disassemble the tuner (1 screw) and put the loops in a vise and squeeze them together slightly, just enough to tighten the shaft. Then, the spring plates =can be bent in the vise so they put more pressure on the shaft when assembled. I do this on many basses and it works great.
    Rocky

3. Sjobi 1

Sjobi 1

Nov 23, 2009
    Thanks Rocky. I failed to mention that this bass has the Schaller deluxe tuners with the "F" Fender stamp. Can I do this with these style tuners? Like these (from another TBer's bass)

Attached Files:

4. I don't think so, I've never had a problem with those tuners. However. look and see if they have the flat tension spring under the ring gear. If so, you can bend that and add tension to the shaft.
    Rocky

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Hi Rocky - What do you mean by tightening "the loops"? What are the loops?

I understand bending the spring.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I think 'loops' means the bent base plate type; the part that the worm gear and shaft mounts in. That's why I like old fashioned open frame tuners: repairs are simple and they're nearly bulletproof.

Since the set in question don't have bent plates, there should be a spring plate under the spur gear. You don't want them slopping around, you may get rattling while playing.

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Ah - now I understand - the loops that hold the tuner key shaft. I was thinking of the string post. Thanks. Makes total sense.

8. Sjobi 1

Sjobi 1

Nov 23, 2009
    Yep, I've got the spring plate under the gear. I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks again for the help!

9. I have a Eminence Portable Upright which uses hip shot tuners, I have an issue with a lot of "slop" in these tuners. Anyone have suggestions on how remedy this issue?