1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loose, unsoldered wire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FerK, Mar 20, 2013.

1. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    While replacing the battery on my new Ibby SR 1200 (it's only 3 months old) I noticed a loose wire. I don't mean a little loose, but totally unsoldered. I guess it's one of the 3 wires coming off the output jack.

DSC_0001-1_zpsa4291ea9.

This wire goes to the left side of the terminal block you see below, next to the red wire coming from the battery's positive pole, and the white wire that goes to the passive/active switch.

DSC_0002-3_zps2be40fa1.

What's your advice ? Should I try to solder that myself ? I have 0 soldering experience (other than my kids' toys, solders that I did and worked, but didn't look nice, nor were they done on $1000 toys). Or should I take my axe to the local luthier and have him shield that cavity while he's at it, and pay out of my nose ?

2. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    That is something you can do yourself. If you are worried about it, go pickup a 1/4 jack and a short length of cable from the local shop and do a test run to see how it all feels to you. Then go ahead and soldier that bad boy back on there. Get a package of heat-shrink that has different sizes and slide it on the wire before you do the soldier. Make sure it is just big enough to slip over the metal tang, fyi.

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    yep, that one is the ground wire...

4. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    That would account for some of the hum...which is the reason I mentioned the shielding in the first place. Interesting....

5. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    That's the OUTPUT jack on the instrument.

6. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Corrected, thank you John. Any additional advice, though ? ;)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd solder it to the same lug as the other black wire on the output jack. Also, it looks like the cavity is already shielded with conductive paint, but copper would be better. I think soldering the wire should take care of the hum, though.

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    connecting the ground wire to the same wire from the battery is not a good idea, unless you want the battery to drain in few days.

The jack has to be a stereo type (3 lug/connectors) and be wired the appropriate way

M

9. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    You are right. The jack has 3 lugs, you just can't see the third where the wire came off in the picture.