1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

loosened neck, still too little gap from string to fretboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Newget, May 7, 2006.

1. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    I loosened the neck, but there is still too little gap from string to fretboard? I followed the instructions from the link in the sticky thread, it says put finger on a string 1st fret and elbow at bridge neck and check space between string and fretboard. He recommends a credit cards width. I have a piece of looseleaf width. I did the other test with finger and thumb from 5th to 9th fret and pulled the string with no sound. I gave a 1/4 turn to loosen and the tested the strings, they buzz up and down board, I raised them and it still buzzes, checked gap between board and string and appears to be no distance change.

Do I loosen more on truss rod or continue to raise string height?
    Thanx

2. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    I should have clarified, I loosened truss rod on weds.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would say make the neck just a tiny bit concave (forward bow while in playing position) and drop the strings, but not so much they buzz. That is how I generally set up my basses.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Was it acting the same way before you started adjusting the TR and bridge heigth?

If it was, it sounds like the neck angle or "tilt" is out of alignment.

Even with a pretty misadjusted truss rod, you should be able to adjust the buzz out on the higher frets (at the bridge end of the neck) with the bridge heigth adjustments.

Generally speaking, the truss rod has the most effect on the nut end of the neck and the bridge heigth has more effect on the bridge end. Making the wrong adjustment will put you in the position of having two problems in the setup. That's where most people get out in left field,

The onlone setup sites are great but they have limitations when a novice tries to follow them to the letter. They do a good job of explaining what to do but come up short on explaining why you do it.

If you start out with a well set up bass, if something goes out of whack, usually a single adjustment will fix the problem if you know which adjustment to make.

I'm assuming that it's a bolt on neck.