1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loosening the strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Feb 12, 2001.

1. I find the string tension on my Fender is a little too tight for my preferences. (I've been fiddling a lot with the 5 lately, which'd probably account for me not being used to the 4 any more... :oops:) So...is there any way that I can loosen the tension on the strings?
    I'd ask my brother first, since he's a relatively well informed guitar player, but last time I made a comment on how tight it was, he asked me "Why don't you just loosen the strings at the tuning pegs?" Which we all know de-tunes the string...

2. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Go to a lighter gauge string.
    The lighter the string-the looser the string.
    a .105 e string will be tighter than a .100 E string
    tuned up. Thats because a string with more mass requires more tension to be tuned to the same pitch as a lighter string.
    Hope that makes sense

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You may want to try some TI Jazz flats, they are a very low tension string.

4. Not only does string size affect tension, but different brands have different tensions also. Check out March 1996 Bass Player mag for a wonderful comparison of different brands. It should be archived at their site.

5. :oops: Hehe... :oops:
    I think I had the Ernie Ball strings with the .110 E string on...
    Yesterday I restrung it with Trace Elliot regular gauge (or whatever it is, I've thrown the box away. :p) with .100, .080, .060, .040 strings. MUUUUCH more comfy. :D

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sheep, I just had to jump in here without contributing anything, (the others said all I could anyway), and thank you for the one of funniest things I know I'm going to hear all week!!! FOTFL!:D That would come from a "relatively well informed guitar player."

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a guitar player who was pissing and moaning about the crack in the top of his Martin. I asked him if he had a humidifier in the case and he said, "No, why the hell would I want to get the inside of the case damp?"