Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loosening the strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Feb 12, 2001.

1. I find the string tension on my Fender is a little too tight for my preferences. (I've been fiddling a lot with the 5 lately, which'd probably account for me not being used to the 4 any more... :oops:) So...is there any way that I can loosen the tension on the strings?
    I'd ask my brother first, since he's a relatively well informed guitar player, but last time I made a comment on how tight it was, he asked me "Why don't you just loosen the strings at the tuning pegs?" Which we all know de-tunes the string...

2. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Go to a lighter gauge string.
    The lighter the string-the looser the string.
    a .105 e string will be tighter than a .100 E string
    tuned up. Thats because a string with more mass requires more tension to be tuned to the same pitch as a lighter string.
    Hope that makes sense

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You may want to try some TI Jazz flats, they are a very low tension string.

4. Not only does string size affect tension, but different brands have different tensions also. Check out March 1996 Bass Player mag for a wonderful comparison of different brands. It should be archived at their site.

5. :oops: Hehe... :oops:
    I think I had the Ernie Ball strings with the .110 E string on...
    Yesterday I restrung it with Trace Elliot regular gauge (or whatever it is, I've thrown the box away. :p) with .100, .080, .060, .040 strings. MUUUUCH more comfy. :D

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sheep, I just had to jump in here without contributing anything, (the others said all I could anyway), and thank you for the one of funniest things I know I'm going to hear all week!!! FOTFL!:D That would come from a "relatively well informed guitar player."

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a guitar player who was pissing and moaning about the crack in the top of his Martin. I asked him if he had a humidifier in the case and he said, "No, why the hell would I want to get the inside of the case damp?"