Loosing mid and high end. whats the solution ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lewibassist, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Hiya i have just played a gig and i noticed that the mids are not cutting through. I have a warwick pro fet head IV and a Aguilar GS-112. I have plenty of the low end but when it comes to playin the higher notes they lack in power if u know what i mean. If i turn up loud enough to get the high notes more defined my lower end is to loud. I need to get a good balence. I have read that the GS-112 lacks in mids maybe that could be the problem ? . What do you sugest ? .

2. A bit of EQ will go a long way. Think about cutting the frequencies that are too loud instead of boosting ones you can't hear. You would be amazed at the clarity you can achieve by dropping a knob or two.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, eq is the way to go with the gs-112. cutting some lows like mm said should let you turn up louder and clear up the cab's sound a bit. if that doesnt work try boosting various mid freqencies a bit.
  4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I noticed in the picture of your rig (Show your Amps thread) that on the head you have a full smiley-face EQ. I don't know the Warwick head well (is the EQ switchable?), but you may want to try flattening this out. I find a great sound comes out of most amps when they're left flat. EQ can be pretty harmful. Start flat, and if you hear something you *don't* want, take it out. It gives you more of what you do want.

Hopefully this is helpful.
  5. +1. Don't EQ with your eyes. Start flat and listen to what you need.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    However, if EQ doesn't do the trick for you, you may want to consider a different cab or two. For instance, EA cabs are exceptionally clear and present in the upper mids (and they have very good high end, though I find that there are more cabs with good high end than there are with really good, clear mids).

Hope this helps, Tom.
  7. Thanks for the advice. Ill mess around with my EQ a bit more. I like a marcus miller / vic wooten tone. I slap a lot and play high up the neck as much as possible. I was considering getting a new cab as christmas is near. Would a Aguilar Gs-210 be a good cab to run with my GS-112. Would the 210 cover the mids and highs more ?. Would this cab setup be a combination ? . I havnt heard anyone that has paired these two cabs. What do you guys think ?.

8. I have never heard any comments on an Aguilar 2x10 cab. I would be very interested in a review on that.
  9. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Did you have any success in flattening out your extreme EQ setting?
  10. Yea thanks. I have been messing round with it. I found i had a lot more control. Im still tweeking it at the moment. I have a Aguilar outboard pre so im trying to balance that aswell. Im seriously thinking about the Aguilar 210. I think the Gs112 and the gs210 would make an interesting pair. Any thoughts on that combination ?.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The GS112 is known to have a "deep, pillowy" sound and not much mid and high. A 210 might help that. However, I haven't heard anything about GS210s. And IIRC, they are ported and thus cost more. Maybe the others here can help you out with a suggestion for tried-and-true, best bang-for-the-buck value cabs