1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lord help me, I played an AER Basic Performer...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kwesi, Oct 26, 2013.

1. and it may have been the most perfect sound I've ever heard. The last time I was this thrilled with a rig was when I first got my Berg AE410 (currently running it with a TH500). I definitely can't justify $1200 on another amp right now but if I could, maaaaaaaaan.

At least now I know what I want when I've got money to spend.

2. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    AER has caught my eye over at the Luthiers Access Group website, but I've never played through any AER gear. What got you hooked on it?

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Great combo and buying used saves a ton of money. I'm selling my spare one for under a grand. I should probably rethink that :D. They were around $2400 new and while many may balk at that price, they typically don't know what these are and what they're capable of. Right off the bat, when you tell people it's a 4x8 combo with four amps in that small of a package, the puzzled looks are the norm. Then you hear it with a low B, more puzzlement. Plus it sounds great with other instruments. If I didn't have two mine wouldn't be available.

I gig mine with five and six string basses.

4. My keys guy has a little one, afaik it is a single 10". Very impressive.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    First time hearing about it now I'm curious

6. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Brad any pics of that spare one? :)

7. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Brad can't post links to his for sale thread, but hey! I saw this in the For Sale forum:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/aer-basic-performer-4x8-combo-1007836/

I just get a chuckle at the name 'Basic Performer". Just sounds like it's not that great and barely gets the job done. I believe AER is an Italian company, so maybe something didn't translate 100%. Even if they would just call it the "Bassic Performer". But I digress.....

I've never played an AER, but I heard someone playing a Chapman Stick through a prototype Stick amp made by AER and it was pure Thunder with beautiful articulation.

8. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Cool thanks I looked for it must not have went back far enough.

9. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    lol I agree the name seems a bit odd but I hear it sounds incredible I'm curious.

10. The clarity! I've never heard a sound so clear in all the time I've been playing bass (not like it's been all that long though, lol). Every single string, every single note, clear as a bell. Every little thing you did on the bass you'd hear, for better or worse and I loved it!

Brad, do you ever run you Basic Performers with another cab? If so, which? And geez that price is a complete steal...

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    AER is a German company and the one time I used their CS (replacement grill, very affordable) it was excellent. The "A" is for acoustic.

I demoed it for a couple of the crew at Atomic, it's such a small unassuming box that most people overlook it. Now they know.

To run it with another cab would require another power section, be it another amp or powered cabinet. I've never gigged mine with another cab because it always sat perfectly in the mix. Even with my favorite drummer who is is a powerful player. For someone looking for a really loud, possibly hyped sound it's a waste of what this cab does so well IMO... make whatever I plug in sound bigger.

I have tried a powered sub out at home and preferred the low end of the AER over it. Tried the same sub with my Lil G, same result. As a matter of fact I think they sound very similar, with the Lil G being able to be driven harder depending on amplification.

I agree that the clarity, warts and all is the key feature. I can't see a time when I can still play that I won't have one. I'm spoiled. A friend of mine wanted to buy mine for his studio but couldn't swing it. He and I think it's a worthy successor to the B-15... and then some. I've owned three B-15s and still own a B-100R.
    :D

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Can't say that I really understand the thinking behind the name either, Rich. It's so far from basic it's not even funny. Then again, if you basically need to amplify something from the family of acoustic instruments, from upright to jazz guitar, woodwinds, piano, whatever, this is probably all you need. The fact that that same authenticity of sound carries over to electric bass is what hooked me. And synths. And vox.
    :D

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I played an AER Amp One last summer and it was amazing. There were Aguilar, Bergantino, etc there and tho little 10" combo killed them sound wise. I'm sure they could get louder but not sound better.

14. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks, that's just what I was hoping you would say. :cool:

15. audiorep2

audiorep2 Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I recently got a AER Bass Cube 2. I play a Ramirez Baby Bass EUB.
    The AER is stunning. Not the loudest amp, but by far the best sounding.

16. valipe

valipe

Apr 9, 2004
    Finland
    I bought mine about year ago. It's not loudest amp but small to medium venues it will shine brightly (nuances, real sound of your bass - good or bad -, And natural sound without boominess) with bass guitars And double bass. Cons here in Europe: Very pricey ... but I think AER is worth it.

17. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Would you mid if I messaged you to get some info on the bass cube I'm considering purchasing one ?