Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lord, my fingerboard!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by meltsakana, Nov 29, 2002.

1. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    Hey everyone, I don't really know where to put this, so I'm dumping it here for starters.
    I recently changed the strings on my MIM Fretless Jazz Bass, putting on roundwounds for the first time. The fingerboard is basically bare, and i am starting to see some impressions from the strings rubbing against the wood...But I love this roundwound sound...Any ideas on what I can do to save my neck from further harm?

I have also noticed the nut is pretty much useless, worn down so much the fingers are basically resting on the fretboard, so it isn't doing any good. Any idea on what I can do to fix this myself?

Careful details within your explanation will make me so happy!

-F

2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    You can epoxy it, or change to groundwounds, not quite as good, but better than flats. You can also change out the fingerboard with an ebony one, but that is definately going to be very cost effective.

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The low-cut nut may actually be the right thing on a fretless, if you like "mwah". If you're convinced it's not, see Dan Erlewine's great book "Guitar Player Repair Guide" for how to fix the nut with super glue!

4. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Are you using nickel strings?? They are a little less harsh than stainless on the board. Round wounds do sound nice on fretless. Though they will eat away at the board. You can just have it sanded down every so often. Cost of playin' bass I guess. I have a friend who uses super glue on his nut too. It works.

5. me and my freinds nut's fell off;) he waited for a month so the guitar store could get glue for the nut. i super glued mine back on hasnt feel off.his falls off all the time.lol dumb guitar player