Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Dec 17, 2003.

1. :eek:

what an amazing movie! i highly recommend you put aside about 4 hours (yes, its insanely long) and go see it as soon as possible! i hate to say it, but i think the star wars and matrix trilogies pale in comparison to this epic story. i mean wow, i cant think of anything bad about the series! truly great film making at its best. what do you guys think about the trilogy as a whole and the final chapter (so to speak)?

2. Damn america...it doesnt open till boxing day here in australia (26th for those that dont no what boxing day is..not sure if it is in other countries) but to continue our tradition me and some relitives that come down for christmas go first day...so im looking forward to 1.20pm on boxing day

3. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Exquisite! I must say that I loved the Matrix, but in my mind it is nothing compared to Lord of the Rings. The trilogy is the best, it just does it for me. The final chapter is amazing! The 3.5 hours flew by me, and I would've stayed for another 3.5 hours. I definitely appreciated the resolution of the movie; instead of some big cliffhanger ending, they actually settle things. Wonderful.

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Just got back from it. All I have to say is....it's AMAZING!!!! She-lob RULES!!! Legolas pnws!!! And Gimli delivers the best place Indy quote EVER!!!! (as he should.)

So....

AWESOME....

I WANT MORE!!!!!

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Lets make frodo and Arwen make a race of immortal hobbits!

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Is this the after the elephant thing? I loved that line!

I just couldn't figure out what you meant by place indy.

And did anybody else think that Rosie Cotton Gamgee was kind of hot?

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You should have hopped over to New Zealand, mate. That was the very first place that got the movie I belive. Although it did show last week (or was it the week before that) in Austin at a special showing for Butt-Numb-A-Thon along with an appearance and discussion with Peter Jackson...now that would have been SWEET.

brad cook

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    going with my team from work in 2 hrs 30 min.

CAN'T Wait!

9. wakizashi

wakizashi

Dec 5, 2003
    Lafayette,LA
    I haven't seen it yet but I want to really bad. I've heard it kicks a$$.

Now for a little bit of my nerdiness. Alright ready. If you want to get way more in depth with the movie go read the books. I know what some of you are thinking ,"There are books of The Lord of the Rings?". Yes there are bra. They have been around for years but no one has known until the movies. They give you way more of the story line. You'd be surprised to see how much stuff you'll find.

There, I said it. Believe me or not I don't care. But don't get me wrong. the movies are some of the greatest, if not the greatest I've seen. But the books where here first, so respect where the movie came from.

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Not to be a bum here but I saw it last night and found it overwhemingly boring, not to mention had so many things that make absolutely no sense. I really don't see what the fuss is. My girlfriend was laughing throughout the movie and afterwards she told me it was because of the looks on my face as I watched (i.e. incredibly bored).

Edit: Just to make note I was also extremely excited to be seeing the movie after all of the praise and hyperbole that I have been reading about it.

11. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX

You have GOT to be kiddng.......

12. I have not seen the movie but this is my suggestion to all of you:

READ!!!!

If a movie is based on a book I read it before I see the movie. It makes it much more enjoyable. The LOTR series is a great example. I am really excited to see if Return of the King is as close to the books as the last two. I just didn't like the whole ent thing in the two towers. They just didn't pick up and decide to go to war. They actually decided in their meeting if I remember right.

13. wakizashi

wakizashi

Dec 5, 2003
    Lafayette,LA
    Oh sh**. I just read what I wrote. You're right BruceWane. What I meant to say was this. Most kids have never read or heard about the books until the movies. At least not ever peaked any interest about it until the movies.

Once again sorry about what I said. Didn't mean to offend you BruceWane. Batman.

14. i havent gotten around to reading LOTR but i did read the hobbit a while back. anyone else love this story? how does it compare to the big trilogy?

btw, i asked for the trilogy (in the all in one book format) for xmas

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

piqued

16. I'd have to disagree with this. The Lord of the Rings trilogy has been around since the early 50's. Whereas the Star Wars Trilogy was an original movie not based on a book (unless you count the screenplay Lucas adapted into book format and released shortly before the movie). New Line Cinema did nothing, IMO, to improve the story, besides add special effects and terrific actors. Besides, it's not a true trilogy. The original format of the book, that Tolkien released, was one huge long book of about 1500 pages. His publisher felt no one had that kind of attention span, so it became a "trilogy."

But nonetheless, still a good movie. Way better than the cartoon (although cartoon Hobbit was good). I just hope the rumours are true and New Line is aquiring the rights to do the Hobbit as well.......

17. I thought the movie was outstanding. The end seemed to drag on a bit, but did close the movie very well.

How about making "The Hobbit" into a movie now. There seems to be a big obsession with prequels right now, and I quite enjoyed that book.

Geoff

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I will pose a few questions I will like answered...if someone can do it might help me make more sense of the movie. Please note that all spelling and references may not be accurate as I am just going by what I remember from the three movies. I have never read the books. Also *big spoilers!* if you haven't seen the movie.

1. Why was Arwen's fate tied to the ring? All of a sudden she is just going to die? There was virtually no explanation as to what the heck was going on here.

2. If the chairman dude of Gondor went nuts because his last son was killed why did he not listen whatsoever when he was being told repeatedly he was alive? Why burn both them when you could obviously SEE he was still moving...and then act surprised when he wakes up? what?

3. The Eagles...what?! If they can kill nazgul why didn't they just lift Frodo to Mount Doom from the Beginning?! That makes no sense. They were unstoppable apparently.

4. The Witch King....Eowyn kills him how? Because she is a woman and not a man? That is the dumbest cop out I've seen. It also does not explain how the hobbit mananged to hurt him? I take "no man can kill me" to mean no mortal being etc. And why was a fight between him and Gandalf built up with NO payoff whatsoever? Not even a hint of a conflict? What happened there?

5. Christopher Lee as Saruman totally got the shaft. And what happened to wormtongue? Seems like a MAJOR faux paus to me.

6. How is it that Orcs, who are in the vast majority in terms of numbers, with many types of weapons at their disposal, cower in fear when a SIGNIFICANTLY less amount of humans show up. And how on EARTH do they just charge through the orc ranks on their horses? It looked like lawn mowers cutting down grass and made no sense at all.

7. I am dying to see a battle that does not cut away every .5 seconds or have the camera shake so all you can make out is blurry nothingness. I know it's the "style" nowadays but I can't wait until someone brings back the style where you can SEE. For an example watch the spear battle in The Hidden Fortress.

I'm sure I could think of more...I spent the whole movie thinking "what the heck? this makes absolutely no sense" because of details like this. To me, the details can really make or break a movie. Any movie that takes itself that seriously better get them right and to me this one just didn't. However if all of the answers to my questions were in the movie and I just missed it I would be very happy to see them. Can someone help me out here?

19. I felt it all made sense. However, if you read the books, everything is explained a little more. Plus, a lot of scenes in the book were cut from the movie. No idea why, probably time constraints.

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

A film should stand on its own. I am guessing there is quite a number of people like myself who have not read the books but went to see the movies ;)

I would still like an explanation to explain what I thought were glaring plot holes. I was so excited to see this...