Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jun 2, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Since I have been unemployed, I find myself watching more TV than usual. This past Friday LOTR: The Two Towers came on Encore. Between the two Encore channels we get, it was on four straight times. I wanted to have a look to check out the hype. I ended up watching the movie three straight times!! It is an awesome movie. I was most impressed with the dialogue. Eloquent, intelligent, and well spoken. I wish people spoke that well these days. The way they worded things was so profound sometimes, almost always quote worthy. The scenery was amazing. The special effects were awesome too. The story line was way cool. I have not read any of the books. After doing some research about it here on TB, and a few other places, it seems as though many people feel the books were better. I don't want to ruin the experience, so I'll just stick with the movies. The elf dude Legalos is way cool. He immediately became my favorite character and the one I was most interested in.

After I watched it, I was confused about a few things. Then, over the weekend the Canadian channel CBUT showed FOTR over two nights. That was way cool to watch the first part after the second part. Answered many questions I had from watching TTT. Now, I have to get a copy of ROTK and watch that.

However.....I do have a question I am hoping someone can answer for me. In TTT, there is a scene where Saruman is standing in the middle of Isengard surrounded by humans with torches and spears. He tells them about how they were driven to the hills and such. Then he tells them to run off and fight. Where did these guys go to fight? Who did they fight? All I remember was the Uruk-Hai ravaging the villages of Rohan in the countryside. Also, is this trilogy supposed to be in the past or the future?

I won't ever find myself dressing up as a character from the trilogy, but I am a big fan of the series now. I am going to watch any of the movies every time I see them on.

-Mike

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    the extended versions of TTT and ROTK are the shizzle...

FOTR never entertained me... its just 3 hours of build up for the alst two.... but its still a good movie.

3. Lord Fender

Lord Fender

Jun 2, 2005
    FOTR set it all up though, because thats where you get the quest and the beginning tensions between the characters. Although the books did it a much better way. ROTK was amazing, I just thought TTT was the most poorly done, although I have no just for my cause.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You seriously haven't seen any of these movies before the last week? I don't watch tv or even go to the movies much, but even I saw them when they came out :D

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope. I read "The Hobbit" in my high school sci-fi class 18 years ago, and that is it.

-Mike

6. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    the wild men went to fight the dudes of rohan and when they went to fight the movie left some stuff out and there were already some of the rohan people fighting the uruh hai so that's where the wild dudes went and they also fought at the main battle in the fortress i've read the books many times over

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Mike, I don't think the books will ruin it for you as you've seen, and more importantly already formed an impression of, the movies.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thanks Eric. So who were those men? They could not have been people from Rohan. Did the Riders of Rohan drive them into the hills? If so, why did they do so? I thought all the men were on the same side, fighting against Sauron/Saruman.

-Mike

9. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i'm not really sure on the details but i think they were origanally people of rohan that didn't get along and so they drove them into the hills and then saruman came along and helped them and so they thought they could get revenge but again i'm not entirely sure i haven't read them in awhile so if i'm wrong please correct me

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    It's funny you mentioned this because last wednesday I picked up the extended versions on DVD. I then stayed up until 6am watching them all. I saw them all in the theater, but not since then. I couldn't go to bed until I finished all three.

As of right now, they are my favorite movies.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here are a few other hot new flicks you should check out:

Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
    Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
    Mary Poppins
    Ben Hur
    Spartacus
    The Matrix
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The Godfather
    The Wizard of Oz

I hear they're making some kind of so-called "prequels" to those Star Wars movies but I'll believe it when I see it.

brad cook

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :D :D

13. It takes place in "Middle-Earth", which I don't believe is suppose to be either the past or future, but a different world altogether. It's been a while since I read the books, so you junkies better correct me if I'm wrong here.

I LOVED the second LOTR, one of the best movies I've ever seen. Had me on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole thing, despite the length of the movie and basically knowing the storyline in advance.

14. SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Aug 20, 2004
    The Last Frontier
    hahahaha, that was good. :D

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Wasn't there something at the end, about Hobbits getting bigger and
    indistinguishable from man...?

I can't remember what it was going for though.

16. Hmm... while that does sound vaguely familiar, it still wouldn't necessarily mean that the new hobbit-men existed on our version of Earth.

It would however explain my large hairy feet. ;)

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, do you also smoke a pipe and have a round front door? If so we have made the connection! :D

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The point is that the whole thing is an allegory, for what Tolkien (an English professor) saw as the changes in England and English society.

So it's pretty clear that the whole thing is about the change from an agrarian society, where people worked together in communities in harmony with the land ; to the Industrial Revolution, where people started destroying the land (i.e Saruman) and became armies of "slave" workers with no roots in the land.

Similarly, the characters are not intended to be "Real People" - they are Jungian "archetypes" -different aspects of mind, that are present in all of us and which we use to help us make decisions or achieve goals... etc. etc.

Tolkian's area of expertise was myths and Scandinavian languages - and he loved how, say the Norse myths helped those people make sense of their world.

But England didn't have anything similar, so he wrote a myth to help English people make sense of their world! ;)

19. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Sometimes when I was in english classes way back in high school, I wondered about the validity of the english teachers' points.

Do you think LOTR was a metaphor for chnages in english society, or do you think it was just a great story about some fantastical beings? I'd like to think, for the sake of my sanity, that although Tolkien was a very intelligent and well-read fellow, he wrote that story because of his passion for writing. He did have many parts of the story that were directly related to european myths & languages however. I just hope that LOTR was not written to inform anyone about sociological changes.

I've been at university for too long.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I think this change in society was very close to his heart - and I think it comes across very well in the films - so the shire is portrayed very warmly, as a rural community which was in harmony with nature and Saruman's mines are clearly villified as smoky, bad technology.

The message is clear that nature will "bite you back" and greed will destroy you - whereas selfless, working for others will be rewarded....well almost!!

In the films, there is a point where you think Sam and Frodo have died and are carried away to heaven by the Eagles - obviously Peter Jackson isn't so idealistic as Tolkien and isn't convinced that we will win through and rerturn to harmony with nature... :meh:

But I read that part again, very carefully, after seeing the film..and Tolkien leaves you in no doubt that they don't die on Mount Doom, but the Hobbits do have a struggle (which is not in the films) when they return to the Shire; to return it to how it was before and Frodo never does get back to that - although Sam does....