Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lord Only - Fear and Trembling

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kavorka, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Last week, I was lucky enough to get a copy of TBer John Turner's CD Fear and Trembling, with his band Lord Only. I have not stopped listening to it since I got it. For fans of progressive rock (and fan's of talented musicians), this is a must have.

For me, the progressive rock scene hasn't been that great of late. I enjoy Enchant, a band out of San Francisco, and Spiral Architect. However, Enchant sometimes gets a bit boring for me and Spiral Architect seems more about the technical side of music for me to handle 100% of the time.

I am pleased to say Lord Only has all of the talent and skills of Spiral Architect BUT they haven't lost sight of making music that you can literally sing and hum to (I found myself humming "Time Out" the other morning as I was walking from the parking garage at work).

Clearly, all of the musicians in Lord Only are talented, but for me, what puts this disc in my player over and over is John's bass. I understand now why he prefers extended range basses (and see what they can do in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing - unlike me). The bass playing is active and integral to each song without ever sounding busy. Plus, John writes all of the songs and lyrics (some, granted, with his band mates). John solely wrote Wounded and Versatile Residue, and these are two of my favorites on the album, along with Time Out and Dispossessed.

Anyway, this post is long enough. Go to Lord Only's website and check them out, then buy the album. For those of you with a subscription to Rhapsody, DigMe pointed out last week you can stream the entire album!

:bassist:

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I can't wait for myself to get a copy. I e-mailed his Lord Only.net account, but no response. Do we have to contact and pay him through his new address listed in his sig?

3. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Just send John a PM. That's all I needed to do. Used PayPal to pay him and he had the CD in the mail to me right quick.

4. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Thanks mate! :bassist:

Now I just need to see i I can mooch some moeny off my mom :meh:

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This cd is excellent, Mr. Turner sure knows how to write great music.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'll probably pick up the CD one of these days. I'm just not a fan of the vocals. The music is fantastic though.

7. The CD is brilliant!! I subscribe to Progression Magazine and this months issue has a sampler with a Lord Only Video of Fear. These guys should be on tour with YES or Rush!! :bassist:

recorded very well , best prog band I have heard since The Flower Kings or Early Spocks Beard

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've been diggin it for quite some time now, it stands up.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    agreed. Then again a lot of people say the same thing about Rush.

brad cook

10. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Must be my age - I dig the vocals for Lord Only, Rush, Yes, etc.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

True True. I like Geddy a little more though. Hey, I've been on a prog kick lately, maybe I'll dig it now (I listened to a vocal track a while back)

*goes and listens to Yes*

I'm very odd.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like Yes' vocals. And I wasn't slamming Rush. A lot of people also say the same thing about Primus but I'm a big Primus fan.

brad cook

13. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    :p I didn't think you were slamming Rush. To me, more people my age like Prog Rock then younger folks do.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've had this disc for many months now...I'm diggin' it.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like prog but I'm more of a King Crimson fan...I guess I like the darker slightly edgier stuff moreso. King Crimson has been my favorite band since probably 1st grade or so...seriously. When I was a kid I wore out my parents' vinyl copy of In the Court of the Crimson King. I used to be way more into prog. I still listen to it but not as heavily as I once did. I was big into Gentle Giant, Genesis, Magma, etc...

brad cook

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I had a dream last night, where I was at a supermarket, and I was getting some chips and salsa, and as I was paying, a song from this album came on the radio, and I thought "hm, that's lord only isn't it?, groovy" then I went home, but my home had been infiltrated by rainbow 6 type guys, so I had to go ninja style, and it was like a video game. All this happened, after I was chatting with victor wooten and after the pirate ship thing with the monsters from the village.

what a dream.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    All that was missing was pirate kitties.

brad cook

18. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    What were you eating before going to bed? I want to have the same meal so my dreams can be that cool :hyper:

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    woah. that's really really scary, dude :eek:

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, man, thanks a lot. i can't believe i missed this thread. lol.

i've been in a wierd place the last few weeks :(. trying to come out of it, though.