Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lord Only - Fear and Trembling

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Aug 4, 2003.

1. HOLY SH*T! THIS CD IS SOOOOO GREAT! I just got it today and I'm listening to it. The mix is just awesome and I can see why it took them a while to get it out! John Turner's bass playing is amazing and I can see why he plays those insane 7+8 string basses, HE MAKES THEM SOUND SO DAMNED GOOD!

If anyone has heard it yet (I might be the only TBer to have it! MUAHAHAHAAHA) Then post away, or if you have any questions about it that you wanna hear from me, lets hear em :D ~ Tyler

2. Has Versatile Residue been processed and mixed since the version that JT has in his profile?

3. I believe it has...haven't listened to that one in a while, but it all sounds good :p

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks tyler!

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd like to hear some folks' critque's/criticisms of the cd. so, let'er rip :)

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    From the clips Ive downloaded in the past. I dont particularly care for it. Good bass playing, no doubt about that, but it all sounded like rehashed Rush IMO and in the opinions of those I know that have heard it.

I dont care for guitar or bass guitars tone, and I think a better singer would help out quite a bit.

Overall I dont care for the song wrighting as good as it may be. This music just isnt my cup of tea.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    so, which clips did you download? just curious - over 3/4 of the cd is not available on line yet, unless you got the stuff from garageband. :). i take it, for instance, that you haven't heard the 9 minute slap on fretless tune :)

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    one of those guys being that drummer that can't take any criticism, but who critiques every band you've ever been in? ;)

seriously, though, what have you heard? rough mix mp3s of two songs? i asked for criticisms of the _cd_ - it's over 70 minutes long. you don't know how it "all" sounded, because you haven't even heard it all.

:meh:

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was merely judging only the material ive heard on the clips youve posted.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's cool, thanks for listening to it and giving it a shot :)

11. 1) I was looking through the booklet that comes with the CD and I noticed that the music and lyrics are all by you and Hal Chiasson. Now, I was wondering what exactly the music by you two meant...did you write all the music together for everyone or decide how it was going to go together or what?

2) Why did you guys (Lord Only) decide to do some long songs on the album? I thought Versatile Residue (great song btw, gets better everytime I hear it) was a long song, but there is a 20:33minute song on here.

3) Who did the cover art? It's like insane and I love it!

Thanks man for the CD, awesome stuff! ~ Tyler

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    whoever is the first to compose a part for a section is considered the author of that section. if someone first composes their parts through the whole song, then they are the sole author of that song.

normally we don't come up with other people's parts, although i did come up with a lot of the melodic guitar parts on the cd. the one exception is the instrumental, where i came up with almost everything except for the solos and a few of the other guitar parts.

thanks :) we just dig long songs. nobody does stuff that's long and interesting anymore, it seems. we're all influenced by the prog bands of the 70's, and they all enjoyed the occasional (or common, depending on the band) long cinematic excursion, and we like doing that too sometimes.

our 2nd cd, ecstatic discharge, has 4 songs that all link together at 38 minutes, along with 5 other songs that are a more manageable length :). that cd is completely finished and just needs to be mixed. i'll probably get started on that in the next week or two.

the statue on the cover was made by a guy out of denver colorado named christoph eherenstrasser.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/9482/index2.html

he's a really cool cat - imagine if drew carrey went goth :D. he makes these statues by hand, with balewire or galvanized steel, and needle nose pliers, twisting them together and crimping the ends of the wire to connect them.

he actually made me two statues, the one on the cover, which was made out of bale wire and copper wire, and another one made of galvanized steel wire, stretching its arms and breaking the shackles. that one will be featered on the 2nd cd.

the artwork itself for the booklet and packaging was developed by brian and myself, with talkbass's very own hambone doing the layout and some of the design as well.

glad you dug the cd, tyler. :)

13. Yeah, it is a great CD and that artwork is just insane. About the long music, not sayin it was bad or anything, but I guess from the music I listen I'm just not used to it, but damn do you guys keep it interesting throughout the whole song. Thanks for answering my questions and I will definently buy the next CD :D Great stuff! ~ Tyler

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If more clips were availble, Id give them a listen to as well. Im sure out of 70 minutes of music theres bound to be some stuff I like.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    so, what's your favorite song so far? :)

16. I dunno man, its a tossup between Time Out and Fear...I'll have to go with both. In fact, I have Fear playing right now :D

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and i'm looking forward to hear some of your work too :).

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Okay, I am going to lock it and do some cleaning up, I'll re open it once only relevant posts are left.

Okay, some of you might not understand why I deleted certain posts so I'm going to give a quick run down of my rationale, any specific inquiries will be dealt with via PM

1. I took out all the posts that were off topic

2. I took out all the posts that said the same thing(NBP66 had wild praise about 8 times in 8 different posts, I understand you like the CD, but you made that very clear in your first post

3. I took out posts of people telling JT they were going to buy it, while this is relevant, they also don't need to be announced and are much better dealt with through PM

4. I took out posts saying that JT was going to get a PM, or that JT was going to send a PM

5. I took out posts that didn't make any sense on topic or off.

I'll admit, I wasn't to thrilled about deleting a lot of this thread, there were some funny jokes and good posts, but they were totally off topic, and just caused clutter, I think JT should get a viable chance to allow people to talk about his work, and not have to deal with a bunch of off topic spew.

I would appreciate if people only posted here if they have actually have their copy of the CD and have valid questions about it. I'm not going to be super strict, but if it gets out of control again, I'm going to be rather annoyed.

JT, Enjoy your thread.

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks a lot :)