Lords of Dogtown?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Oct 2, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I just rented this movie, and i must say.... it is one of the best i've seen in a long time. I used to skateboard day and night, and this movie brought back the good times. The soundtrack is so friggin sweet too!! :bassist:

Anyone who has thought about seeing this movie but hasent yet should go out and rent it... now!

Anyone else seen it? Comments?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    An interesting note...Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo did the music for Lords Of Dogtown. Mark rocks!
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmm..now you've got my attention. I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson movies so of course I like Mothersbaugh. This movie seemed a little cheesy from the little I saw about it.

Anyone who hasn't seen the documentary "Dogtown and Z Boys" should watch it as a companion.

brad cook
  4. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    some parts were a bit cheesy, but overall, a killer flick! I'll have to check out that documentary.
  5. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    it looks cool but it's pretty fake they never had that much fame when they first started it took awhile for everything to catch on
  6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    What he said... almost. The new one is a FAKE, made by Hollywood to cash in on the coattails of the real thing.

Dogtown and Z Boys is the actual footage made by the guys who were there. The soundtrack is killer, including Hendrix, Nugent, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, et al. If you like the fake, try the real thing.
  7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
  8. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Another "plus one" for Dogtown and the Z-Boys.
    Also, see if you can find the movie "Skateboard" from 1977. This was a "cash in" on the skateboard craze of the 70's. Cheesy yes, but it features Tony Alva.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What do you mean "almost"? I know that we're talking about two different movies here and that one is a documentary and one is not. I was suggesting that if one is going to watch the non-documentary then he/she should also watch Dogtown and Z-Boys as a companion to that. I don't think the newer one is a "fake" from what I understand but just a dramatic interpretation of those guys and those days.

brad cook
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That movie is 100% required and frequentLY viewed at my house. Brilliant and heartbreaking all at once. I haven't seen the new Dogtown movie since it certainly can't live up in my mind.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I did not like either movie. I fell asleep during Z Boys. My son and I tried to watch them since we both like skateboarding.

12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love documentaries but they're not for everyone.

brad cook
  13. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    The movie? Lacking, but fun if you don't know any better.

Dog Town & Z-Boys? Fantastic.