LoRider gets a little broken

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Feb 15, 2005.

1. For you DR LoRider users out there, how long does each specific string last for you? For awhile, up until these last few months, I would break a string (even the low B :eek: ) probably after a month or two. My D string lasts the longest. I have already been working hard on my technique to try and pluck each string with less force, and that seems to be working so far. The real issue is that a new set of 5 stainless steel LoRiders costs me like $32 and that definetly puts a nice dent in my wallet, and I need to know if you guys have experienced short life spans with these strings, so that I can try a new set, despite the fact that I love their tone and feel.
  2. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    First of all, you might want to have your bridge looked at. You might have some sharp edges that are causing problems, that might be why you have one string that doesn't break as much. I had a set of Lo-Riders on my Thumb for like 6 months one time (still sounded decent), and my technique is definitely very aggressive. I pick, finger and slap the S*%# out of this thing and have not broken a string on it yet.
  3. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Where are the breaks occurring? I had a bass that strings broke on quite frequently-all at the bridge. There may be some work required on the saddles etc.....
  4. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    I slap, tap, pop, pick, use my fingers and they last longer than most strings I've used. I used Rotosounds for 14 years and have used DRs for the last 2 and I've never broked one...yet. I think there is something else going on if your breaking strings that often.
  5. I never thought about the bridge saddles being an issue, but that makes great sense since they always break right at the top of the saddle. What can be done to remedy this?
  6. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Take the strings off. Use a strip of emery paper to smooth any sharp edges you find.
  7. My DR's last a long time, and I've never had one break. I agree with the other posts about having your bridge looked at.
  8. Wow! Thanks a ton! I'm very excited and anxious to do this and see how long my strings will last! :hyper: :bassist:
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    How's your techinique? Do you play pretty hard with your right hand? Picking technique or fingerstyle?

I once had a student that played so hard with a pick, that no string would last long. He was OK when practicing, but when he played with his band he'd just bang and destroy E strings like nobody's business.
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It always surprises me when I see these threads and read about people breaking strings. In 28 years of playing I've never broken a string. I'm not sure why, maybe a light touch or something. I sometimes leave strings on until they are completely dead, yet I still don't ever break them.
  11. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Deja vu... haven't we seen this exact same thread before???

I used to frequently break Rotosounds and D'addarios. Matter of fact, one time when my E conveniently broke at the end of the last set of a particularly bad gig with a particularly bad "drummer of the night", I went ahead and broke all the rest too. :D

But in over 10 years of using Lo-Riders, I've never broken a single DR.
  12. I play fingerstyle, slap, and tapping, and up until a few months ago I would play generally pretty hard, but now I have scaled down the amount energy that I pluck a string with. So far it has gotten better, but we shall see. I really think that it has to do with the bridge saddles being sharp, so I will smooth them out and see how that goes.