Los Angeles housing advice (Wilshire area)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 17, 2003.

1. I'm looking for a place to live near USC, since the dorms and the university-owned apartments are all full, and the housing market in University Park kinda blows. So, I'm looking at places in Wilshire, since I'll still be within a 20-minute bike ride of USC even if I'm 30 blocks north of campus.

Anyhow, what should I be looking to pay for a two-bedroom unit in a decent complex? Is there much crime? Will there be lots of restaurants, convenience stores, etc. within walking distance?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know how close it is to USC but I hear that Compton is a nice place.

brad cook
  3. :mad:

Random note: there's a strip mall near our house that has a Hollywood Video and a tanning parlor called "LA Tan," with an unleased space between them. My dad and I were thinking of renting the space and starting "Compton Liquors." :smug:
  4. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

look under los angeles.

It has some roommate and apt listings.

hope this helps
  5. I've hit up Craigslist already, thanks. It's surprisingly lean. The LA Times classifieds have proven a lot more useful, which really surprised me.
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey Peter, when you're at USC, come check out some of the AES LA section activities. We get a fair number of USC students. See the URL in my sig.
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I may be wrong, but isn't USC in a real crappy part of LA? If so, do you really want to be riding your bike every day through it?
  8. It's pretty safe once you get north of campus. Anything to the south, west, or east is kinda sketchy, though.

Anyhow, I can always ride the bus. There's a panzer division of buses going up and down Vermont and Figueroa.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, but the homeboys in that part of the hood be packin Panzerschreck's. :eek:

10. I'm living at City Park Apartments, which is on Vermont & 30th, but I don't know how much space there is between fall/spring semesters.

A bunch of my friends have also gone through Conquest, but I don't know how much space they have, either.

As for pricing, I'm in a 2 bed/2 bath apartment and rent is $1525/month including water, all other utilities have to be paid for seperately. That seems to be the general price range for apartments that close to campus. If I were in LA instead of back home in Hong Kong right now, I'd help you look for other places.
    I guess a lot of this also depends on the quality you're looking for, too. Walls in CityPark are pretty thin, and the general vibe of the place is pretty sketchy, but it's still pretty safe.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    $1525 a month for an apartment? YIKES!

The mortgage payment on our 1900 square foot 2-story home is half of that.

12. Well, I think I found a place at 30th and Shrine. It's a one-bedroom and it's $1200/month, but there's plenty of free parking and it's about a 90-second walk from campus. Plus, neither my roommate nor I will be in the apartment all that much, and the folks who are subletting it to us are gonna leave their nice Ikea bunk bed behind, so we should have plenty of space.
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Quick man, call 'top'.

brad cook
  14. Idunno, man. I'm 6'2". I always bump my head on the ceiling if I get the top bunk.
  15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dude, this is LA. What you need to do, first thing, is get a car. Do whatever you have to do to get one, borrow money from the 'rents, whatever. Survival without a car in LA is impossible. Or at least, unspeakably dull.
    Then, you have choices. There are plenty of great cozy places to live that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Anything in central city is either going to be pricey or safe, but not both. But there are plenty of great spots in Hollywood, or up in the Silverlake area (lots of good roommate situations there). You can commute to 'SC from someplace like that without any traffic problems.
    Besides, how are you going to haul gear without a vehicle?
  16. I really, really would prefer not to be driving to class every day. Anyhow, I have a car, but I would prefer to take public transportation, ride a bicycle, or walk to school; the latter two options at least provide a modicum of exercise.
  17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Hell, back in Dubya Dubya Duece, Pete was stopping Panzer divisions in their tracks with his smugnicity. I've seen it man, it's pretty cool. Kind of like watching a shoe crush an ant.
  18. It's true. I also caused a couple dozen V-2s to blow up in mid-air after I smirked at them.

:smug: :smug: :smug:
  19. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Maybe England should pay for your graduate school.... :cool:
  20. Never have so many owed so much to such smugness.