Los Angeles people: you may say "I told you so" at any time now

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 20, 2004.

1. I got mugged last week at 7 PM a block from my place in east Koreatown (specifically, at the intersection of San Marino and Westmoreland). I'm physically fine and all that got swiped was $11 in cash, but this is the last straw. Between fears for my personal safety, my asswipe roommate, and my dissatisfaction with sharing a one-bedroom apartment, I'm looking to move.

Today I looked at apartments in west L.A. The specific neighborhoods I visited were Mar Vista/Palms, Westchester (well, the southern edge of Culver City), and Cheviot Hills. Tomorrow I'm going up to Silver Lake, Los Feliz, and Eagle Rock.

What do the SoCal folk here know about these neighborhoods? Is there anywhere else I should look? I don't want my commute to be more than 30 minutes at low traffic, which means anything too far out in the 'burbs or up in the Valley is right out. I was thinking about Glendale or Pasadena, but the commute to USC is just too damn long from those places unless it's 2 AM. (I can't imagine, for the life of me, how one of my friends used to commute to 'SC every day from his folks' house in San Dimas.)
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I dunno if these are legal in your area, but a stun gun or industrial pepper spray may be in order. There are quite a few good places to get them.
  3. An attempt to use mace or a stun gun would have resulted in my throat being slit when I got mugged. This may be due to my having been jumped by two local gangbangers instead of a solitary one.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Very true. Well, you are lucky to get out of that one. You need to become a ninja like me... uh, wait, I'm not a nija... ha ha.... ninjas don't exist..... erm, yeah. We're glad to have you here. I could go into politics about gun control and stuff here, but I won't.
  5. Geesh...

Sorry to hear about what happened. About a year ago I wasn't mugged,but I was attacked by like 3 guys,right outside there house not even a block away from me. It's sad...My neighborhood,along with alot others around here are going down the drain :meh:
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I never understand this. If dude wants your $11, give it to him.
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I don't know... I'd believe more along the lines of, "If the dude wants your $11 and is willing to stab you for it, give it to him."
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  9. My brother just moved into a new apartment downtown, City Lights on Fig, it's pretty nice, although I don't know how much you're willing to pay. It's right on Fig & Pico, but that could be kind of annoying when there are events going on at the Convention or Staples Centers.

If you want to know more or look into it, PM me and I'll give you what more details I know.

10. When I was in 8th grade I stopped five people from jumping me for $1.50. And the other time a fight with a 19 year old muslim because I spit on the floor and his little brother thought I was offending him so the big one wanted to fight me. This one ended in us shaking hands and him appologizing 6 times. You need to be a negotiater :)

Anyway Pete good luck finding a place. I will never go to California with Arnold there, he won't allow gay marrages so that means possible uprisings.... dumb Arnold.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

Negotiating with junkies and knives generally doesnt work.

Give them the $ and move on.
  12. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    As an L.A. native, I warned you from the get-go
    about the ghetto surrounding USC.

If I had a choice of Universities, anything in L.A. County sucks.

The worst environment West of the Rocky Mountains.

I couldn't wait to get out of L.A. to go college in Northern California.
    No crime.
    No gangs.
    Wine tasting.
    Redwood forests.
    Beautiful coast line.
    Sweet willing Honey's.
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Peter, you could have stayed in Chicago and gotten mugged with lower rent!
  14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Or stayed in NY and gotten mugged by George Pataki.
  15. Pete sorry to here that..IMO most of LA is kind of sketchy. I live less than 100 miles from LA and only go up there if I really really have to which is never. I do have some friends that have lived in Silverlake for many years and they like it. Los Feliz would be better...good luck and stay safe.
  16. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Still disagree. You choose your battles. The simple fact is, most of the time you don't know if someone's going to stab you. To me this seems more like egotistical macho bravado more than anything else. Personally, I'm at peace enough with my manhood not to have to fight someone under those circumstances.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    To me, they're all still L.A. This never would've happened in San Diego. Should've gone to UCSD.
  18. not true Munjibunga.. when I was living in Mission Hills ( Nice part of SD) both my vintage schwinn cruiser and my mountain bike we stolen off my second story balcony then in same week my truck was broken into. then one afternoon at the Weinersnitchel on Washington a dude was stabbed for his skateboard. I now live in north county were stuff like that hardly ever happens.
    but yea Pete you should of gone to UCSD..it's way nicer down here.
  19. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    "by willing to stab" I kinda meant using any form of physical force, not just stabbing, and that generally is pretty easy to figure out. If someone asks, "Can I have a few dollars?" If you say no, they most likely aren't going to punch, stab, etc. But if they say, "Give me all of your money!" and are in an aggressive posture, you know they are pretty much mugging you.

BTW, Michael S. Kimmel wrote a pretty good article called, "Masculinity as Homophobia." Good read.
  20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm glad you weren't hurt Pete. Good luck in your search for a better living environment.