Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Los Angeles Saints?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Oct 24, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I heard it on ESPN today. This season and next in San Antonio, after that Los Angeles.

Wow......

-Mike

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, for some reason, the powers in the NFL don't like us.

Oh well....

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tom Benson must DIE!!!

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Wow is right.

Looting a city's football franchise following a natural disaster. That would be a new low, even for the NFL. :rollno:

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...y'know, Saints fans, long-suffering as we are, appreciate San Antonio giving us a TEMPORARY HOME. Don't make us resent you for trying to theive our team from us...or even implying that you would like to...please.

If they move to El-Lay, so be it, just gives me yet another reason to think that city sucks.

Here are a few interesting questions:

What about the new division alignments? The Saints are presently in the NFC South, along with Atlanta, Carolina, and Tampa Bay. They just finished realigning everything to put teams in regionally sensible groups, so now they're going to let it get all fouled up again?

Does the NFL really want the incredibly negative publicity that allowing such a move will generate? How can ANYONE think this is reasonable and fair? Let's take a city while it's totally down and out, and STEAL it's football team. Yeah, that's classy.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
  7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    How about this:

What's most important - using funds to fix the Superdome or to rebuild homes and businesses?

How long would it take to fix the last home?

I'm being the devil's advocate here....so don't hate me because i'm beautiful, Gard.

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

does anyone here remember a couple of years ago ,
    when the Spurs and San Antonio were at odds over building
    a new dome ...
    the Spurs announced they would rather move than to continue
    playing at the AlamoDome ...
    who was the first city to announce that they would do everything
    in their power to steal the Spurs away from San Antonio ...??

wait for it ....

it was NewOrleans !!

i hate to sound vengeful or spiteful { because i'm not } , but it is Benson's team , it is just a business ,
    and if he wants to move to SanAntonio , i'll buy season tickets ...

just my $ .02

peace

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Good point (as usual :) ), Dave!

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    How about this:

They are going to rebuild the Superdome, Saints or no Saints.

So, since that money WILL be spent, wouldn't it be to the benefit of the city and its people to keep the team there. Do you realize how many "invisible" jobs an NFL team creates? Trust me, your mayor does, and that's why he's jumping through hoops like a trained dog for Benson - MONEY.

The team should stay put, any city that tries to take advantage of the misfourtune of New Orleans deserves to have a crappy team like the Saints and a crappy owner like Benson there.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How much of this is Benson, and how much is the NFL? The reports say that the NFL may not be agreeable to a move, but I think it is a smoke screen to make them look good.

At the end of the day, I think this is the NFL's doing. Benson certainly won't stand in the way though.

-Mike

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    By the way, you do realize that Benson is USING San Antonio? He'll never put the team there permanently, he's using them and the situation to squeeze New Orleans and the state of Louisiana for everything he can get. If he doesn't get what he wants, he'll go to LA.

The Saints won't be in San Antonio permanently, ever.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The report I read did say that y'all will still be in the rotation for the Super Bowl. Does that help?

-Mike

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    No, the team is too much of a revenue generator for the city for that to make up for it. It will hurt the economy of NO even more than it already has been because of Katrina.

Moving them from NO would be unconscionable.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    draG,

I'm not for or against the Saints leaving NO....Nor did I vote for Hardberger (I voted for the guy that came from my neighborhood). ;)

My point is federal and state funds (I would think, administed locally) will be used in addition to insurance funds for rebuilding - my point is:

I can't see the politicians or whoever putting sports infront of homes and small business. Yes, the team build jobs, but how can people work without a home?

This is my point - so, yes you can have your Saints - THEY EAT TOO MUCH AND ARE TAKING MY FOOD! :spit:

:D

Once again, I'm pissed at Phil if he is trying to steal the Saints...

Anyway, I'm currently rebuilding the Gunslingers - we're going NFL :spit: (i would suspect only Dave would get this! :D )

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    San Antonio Gunslingers???

I wonder if you can get Neuheisel to give up his gig with the Ravens. :)

-Mike

17. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    There's a difference here. Similar to the difference between walking up to a healthy man and punching him in the face....... and walking up behind a critically-ill man and punching him in the back of the head.

If SA or LA had made a play (and they did) for the Saints while New Orleans was "normal", it would have been business as usual. But doing it now, before the dead are even counted from Katrina, is akin to rummaging through a sick man's pockets while he's too weak to fight back.

And to openly announce it, as the mayor of SA did..... well, he's a disgrace to your great city and state.

18. DaveDeVille

Gard ,
    yeah , i do know that Benson is just using San Antonio ...
    it's not the first time an owner has had our mayor jumping thru hoops .
    he and Red McCombs are both capitalist pigs , imo ...

i'm not trying to take anything away from N.O. { not even the Saints },
    and i know about the economic hardships the state is going through .

no offense intended , i just think it's a little hypocritical for people to say that San Antonio
    is trying to rip anyone off ,
    or that we are doing anything any other major city wouldn't do to secure a franchise ...

bigbeefdog ...
    this really has very little to do with Katrina , imo .
    {not that i would dream of trivializing the damage and despair
    the city is going through ...}
    Benson has been saying for a few years now , that if N.O. didn't
    cough up the money for a new dome , he was gonna pull out anyway .
    again , i know he's just using S.A. as a ploy to get what he wants .
    you'd probably be better off without him anyway .

San Antonio or Los Angeles , it's going to happen ...
    which poison would you prefer ..?

again , just my $.02

peace

19. DaveDeVille

i still have my Gunslingers banner , hanging on my wall in my office !!

BTW , i also voted for Castro ... :D