Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Los Angeles Shops

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by twiz, Sep 11, 2003.

1. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Any suggestions for a decent place to try out a few reasonably (read sub $2k) uprights in the Los Angeles area?

I've heard mixed reviews about "stein on vine" ranging from "great selection" to "prey on newbies." any opinions?

any advice would help.

thanks

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Lisa Gass, Los Angeles Bass Works, (323) 953-5122.

Excellent reputation, very nice person. She studied making with Dave Folland, one of America's top violin makers.

3. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    I would reccomend Stein on Vine without hesitation. I've had many dealings with Gary and he's always been more than fair.

4. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Both Lisa at LA Bass Works and Gary at Stine On Vine are good, and both are very honest and fair when dealing with "Newbees" and the more experianced player. I've dealt with both of them, and would do so again without hesitation.
    LA is certainly a major market with a strong double bass community, and word of mouth travels fast. Gary's shop is directly across the street from the Musician's Union, he couldn't stay in business if he wasn't good at what he does, and fair in terms of doing business.
    Everyone who's anyone in bass knows Gary and Lisa, and some of the finest players and their basses have benefited from the fine service that each of them has provided for many years.

5. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    wow mike, thanks....

any suggestions for a good upright teacher ?

6. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Twiz,
    Try Barry Cogert, he's in Long Beach at 562 494-2626. Barry is a former student of John Clayton, I studied with Barry in 1995 until about 1998, I had played mostly electric before that. Barry is a wonderful teacher and very patient. He works a lot around Southern California, so you will benifit much from getting a chance to study with not only an fine teacher, but a working pro as well!

7. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    quick follow up...

so i visited gary who was very friendly and supportive of a complete newbie. i picked out a fine used ply bass. i believe gary said it was a "cleveland" although i can't find any info on this type of bass on the net so i may have misheard him. either way, i'm slowly destroying my fingers as i try to find a teacher!

fun stuff!

eric

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Would that be the New Standard Cleveland model? If so, you're in luck; it's pretty much regarded as the best plywood bass available right now. Our friend Arnold Schnitzer, who posts here often, is the co-creator of this instrument. There are quite a few threads that mention it here. Arnold's website (AES Instruments)describes it and includes pics.

9. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    it's possible, the bass itself appears rather old though -- in fact, i'd venture to say it's downright nearly ancient looking...

sounds interesting though, i wonder if there's some way i can figure out what it is.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    If you could post pics of it here, there are folks who could probably tell you, or at least narrow it down.