Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Los Angeles: The Talkbass Tourist Guide

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mz91, Apr 20, 2004.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hey All,

Well, i am going to be in America for the first time in my life. Specifically in Los Angeles with my girlfriend. I will be there for 10 days. And in those 10 days i want to see all that i can. I know someone had a thread a little while ago about good bass stores in LA but i cant seem to find that....

I just want to know what i should check out in the LA area. I am pretty clueless and i just wanted to know from the locals what places i HAVE to check out. If there are any other cities that are not to far away ill be sure to visit them too. Well? All you in LA, where should a first time visitor go?

Plus, i wanted to rent out a motorbike while i was there to get around.. Is that possible? I am 20 years of age but i have the license for big bikes. Will they let me get a bike there?

As you can see got alot of questions! I am leaving for LA on the 3 of May.

Pretty excited to finally see the States. :hyper:

Thanks!

Oh and one more thing... I wanted to buy a 12" Powerbook while i was there... Any Apple stores you recommend? Is there any place i can get em' a little cheaper or is the price on apple.com applicable regardless of which store you go to.

Thanks again.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like the Mesa/Boogie store on Sunset Blvd... :D

One word: Chicken n' Waffles. MMM,mmm!

3. In 'N' Out Burger
    Cheesecake Factory
    Baja Fresh
    El Pollo Loco

Don't miss out!!! You haven't lived until you sample the local cuisine!!!

....oh, Guitar Center near Van Nuys and Ventura - packed full of various cool musical gear, but not as much 'tasty bass gear' as a 'bass only' store (like Bass Northwest, Bass Central, BassAlone, etc.)

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Ill keep my eyes peeled for those restaurants :p

One more question... im looking to buy a used Looper or a good Distortion pedal. Where would you suggest i go? :ninja:

5. SO goooooooooodddd!!!!!

I personally dig the traveling rings down on Santa Monica beach, and I tend to be there every Tuesday & Friday, but from May 3rd onwards I'll be worrying about finals & stuff, so I might not go for a couple weeks.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey Michael, if you'd like to get a quick tour of the QSC factories while you're in the area, contact me by e-mail or by phone (+1 (714) 327-4667). We're located in Costa Mesa, about 70 km south of downtown LA.

7. if i were you i'd stay in beautiful switzerland. this place is overrated.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Start at the GC at 7425 Sunset Blvd., then wander over to Mesa, Carvin, Sam Ash and the others. They're all on the same block. As far as a motorcycle, it'd work, but here you have to have a specal license to drive one. I don't know how that works for aliens.

9. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Wow! thanks for the offer! If i have time i will be sure to call you. I imagine we will be on a tight schedule with only 12 days there :hyper:

That would be cool though thanks Mr. Lee!

10. mz91,

I was in LA/Orange County for a couple of weeks in late February. One thing that you probably won't realise til you get there is that LA is HUGE!!!! Freeways are really busy. If you plan to travel from the north (Beverly Hills, Hollywood kind of area) to the south (Costa Mesa, Anaheim etc.) it can easily take you 2 hours or more. So leave time to travel.

I can recommend looking up Todd Johnson's website (www.toddjohnsonmusic.com) and see where he's playing. Todd's a great guy, fantastic bassist and he does some really cool stuff in comping jazz standards and playing solo bass (if that's your thing).

Have fun though!
    Mike

11. Is LA the urban wasteland everyone says it is?

12. I've never enjoyed my trips there. Then again I'm jaded.

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I used to live in LA......

Get in a car and head north up the PCH. Go up to Malibu,(Zuma Beach) It is a beautiful drive and there are some great seafood places.

14. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Like Me, You will need to go and find out for yourself :D

Im really excited. The first time in America. Hmmmm, try to sample all those "boutique" basses i have never had the chance to play...

Does Brad Johnson live in LA by any chance??? Would be practical, would have all those basses at just one place. :bassist:

15. yes it is a urban wasteland. please don't come to the US. you have it so much better there.

16. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Well, you can get a looper or distortion pedal just about anywhere. Check out pawn shops, and stay away from mom and pops stores with jacked up prices.

I bought a boss loopstation for a little over 300 American buckerooooos, so dont spend more than that.

17. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for most of the suggestions! Im getting really excited!

Does anyone know a good place to go buy an Apple Powerbook?

Michael

18. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Go the any Apple store. Mac They are locations everywhere.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The first time I came to LA was in 1990, and I thought it sucked. I had my banal media-fed stereotypes joining my at-first-glance impressions. And it wasn't pretty.

Even the local media really feed the flames with their superficial celebrity worship culture, materialism, etc.

If you get away from the shallow stuff--the shopping mall culture, the celebrity worship, the plastic surgery / liposuction mania, and the obsession with having a nice car--and you get to know real people and real neighborhoods, you may find that it's pretty nice.

20. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Thanks for the replies so far...

Hey, i noticed their are tons of amusement parks... I wont have time to go to all of them so which do you think would be the funnest? Im thinking the 6 Flags :meh: ? Well?

And right now i am not sure about renting out a car! Everyone says that you absolutely NEED a car in L.A. Im under 21 so it will be DAMN expensive renting one out... Any of you have any suggestions on that matter?