1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Los Angeles: The Talkbass Tourist Guide

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mz91, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, Bob! You KNOW you gotta have a nice car. E500, at least.

2. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yep, Six Flags. It's a bit out of the way, but I think they have slightly under one million roller coasters up there. It rules. It's gonna be hot up there though.

Yeah, you pretty much need a car. E500, at least. E55 is better.

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Um...I hate to break this to ya, but it might be damn near impossible for you to rent a car. I'm a travel agent for my day gig, and I'm not aware of any car rental companies that will rent a car to anyone under the age of 21. Most, in fact, won't rent to anyone under 25, and when they do they charge a premium as high as an extra $25 a day!

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, it looks like he's gonna have to do what the natives do ... steal one.

5. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland

:D LOL :D

Hey Craig,
    Yea i heard about that premium we need to pay. Thats whats gonna make it so damn expensive...
    I hope that the guy we are staying with is nice enough to rent out the car for us, but i think thats a long shot.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What kind of number is E500?

My car is nice, although it would look like crap to most people. It's so nice that I replaced the driver's seat at about 215 thousand (2.15E5) miles. ;)

2.15E5. Now that's a number.

7. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hey Craig,
    Turns out you were right.. My girlfriend called nearly everydamn rental company and they do not give out cars to people under 21 ...
    That really bursts my bubble .
    Well, i hope that something comes up....
    Thanks for the reply though :)

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    bump1

im going to california in 1 moth too.

i was there 2 years ago, and remember going to guitar center, and having in the sam block (or so) mannys music and sam ash, am i right?

also were can i find shows and live music calendar to see there?

im 19, the places there are for 18 or 21 years old?

thanciks!

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Go to Venice beach and check out the fine hand-blown glass wares.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Gruezi mittenand! :)

My family (on my mother's side) is from just outside Bern.

Let's see, here in LA, Sunset Boulevard (right near the Guitar Center Hollywood) is a good place to check out. There are all kinds of stores, the GC, Sam Ash, Mesa, Carvin, all kinds of little guys too.

Also, the LA Bass Exchange in the San Fernando Valley, in Sherman Oaks, is a good place. Ask for Justin, and tell him I referred you. Also Norm's Rare Guitars, in the Valley on Ventura Boulevard (Tarzana I think), is pretty good if you like vintage Fender's and Gibson's (a little pricey, but they have a good selection, and you can bargain).

And, you're welcome to stop by my place, drop me a PM and I'd love to hear about what's going on in the Suisse these days. :)

I hope you have a great vacation. A single bass in a hard shell case will fit nicely into the luggage rack on an airplane. :D

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Definitely hit up Venice Beach. Roll down to Compton, and hit up Louie's on Compton Blvd. Yummy burgers and burritos the size of your leg. On Central Blvd in Montclair is a guy called the Tamale King. He runs a little stand just up the road from Weinerschnitzel. Best tamales in the world.

Six Flags would be the best amusement park to check out since you're a little older. Disneyland won't disappoint though.

Car rentals....Fox won't even rent you a car. For the amount of places you are trying to go, you will need a car. Perhaps you can buy yourself a beat up Pinto or Vega for the time you are there. That would be cheaper than renting anyway.

-Mike

12. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd say finding a friend to spend time to drive you places would be a more fruitful attempt than renting a car and not being over 25.

But about L.A., man, it seems everyone has this really strange conception of what Los Angeles is. Kinda sad, really. It makes as much sense as me thinking one thing of almost anybody else's city, based on a trip, or a report from somebody else, or myth, or whatever.

Especially a place like L.A. It's huge. And when I say that, I don't just mean geographically, though it is. It's more than just technically the cities that qualify as "Los Angeles". You will have to accept all the cities in and around L.A. to get the true L.A. experience. No one just stays in one part of L.A. Yes, that is really boring and could skew you to thinking we only have one kind of people, depending on where you were and what kind of people you hang out with. But really, there are so many cities and towns that make up the whole area of L.A. (whether or not it is really L.A.) that it's totally ridiculous to judge this place without exploring more than one or two parts of it.

Basically, if you are going to judge L.A. by the stereotypical types, you've really got it all wrong. L.A. can be anything you want it to be. You just gotta be in a certain place with certain people. I think it's this way most anywhere.

-T

13. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Venice beach is a MUST when coming to LA. I have been down central a billion times though and never seen the tamale king.... I must be missing something big!

14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The last time I was in Montclair, 2/2004, he was a block down from the Weinerschnitzel. It was a little stand, kind of like the hot dog vendors in NYC. He used to be down farther by the flea market, maybe he went back?

-Mike

15. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    bump! for music stores in LA

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hey, Zug-man, did you ever make it over to LA? If so, what did you find?

I might be going over to Zug, very shortly. It's a beautiful part of the country, if you like the Suisse and all that.

Personally, I think the Swiss are some of the nicest people I've ever met - perhaps a bit hard-headed, in a loose kind of way, but they've definitely got their heads sitting squarely on their shoulders, for the most part.

My first cousin over in Sulgen, is hawt beyond belief, if I weren't so close I'd probably ask her to have a baby with me or something. :D

Anyway, I hope you made it over here and had a good time. :)

17. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I forgot all about this thread. I called my aunt back when I posted the first time to get better directions, and never posted them. The Tamale King is in a mini-mart on the corner of Riverside and Mountain in Chino. He used to be up on Central, but he has moved.

-Mike

18. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland

Hey Nonsqtr,

Yea i had a wonderful vacation and had fun on the Big Blue (the bus) I cant believe i survived two weeks of LA on the public transportation system! It was alot of walking, but i enjoyed it cause i could really see the people and other things i might have missed if i had a car! I loved Santa Monica. Walked around there allllooot! And it was difficult not looking at the other ladies in that hot weather (i went with my girlfriend :smug: ).

You might be coming to Zug? Cool! If you are sure about it, PM me so i can give you my number and all that. If you dont have a bass you are welcome to come to my place to play if you are missing your basses back home! :D

Cheers

Michael

19. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    wow, this thread was revived? I left to LA last year around February was it? Or a little after? Dont even remeber for sure!
    But thanks for all the Tips anyways! :)

20. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Any places he definately shouldn't go?