Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lose ferrule

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eldermike, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I had a lose ferrule on a tuning machine. It's on a stingray, on the E string. I noticed a problem staying in tune after changing strings and found the ferrule had lifted away from the head stock slightly. I removed the string and the tuner, and found the bushing to be a slip fit in the head stock. So,.............I put a small amount of 5 minute epoxy on it, pushed it back in the hole, and so far it's worked just fine. I did this so I could play it, it's my main bass. My question is: Should I do the rest of them before another one let's me down?

Mike

2. I wouldn't. And, in a way, I wouldn't have used epoxy either.

The ferrule is only an aid for tuner post alignment, and really shouldn't affect tuning, but hey...no harm no foul, since this is your "player"

The only reason I shy from epoxy is because you'll be very hard pressed to get that bushing out now. That stuff is pretty strong.

Moving forward, if you ever have to do this again, a bit of white glue will keep it seated, and won't bond to the bushing like epoxy (it doesn't really either, but it's a real strong bond it may as well be. v:O)~

3. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Thanks. I considered the possibility of ever changing the tuners and I looked at the quality of the tuner and at my age and came to the conclusion that they will last longer than me.