Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Lose Yourself" Wins Oscar!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Much to my surprise, the Eminem song "Lose Yourself" from "8 Mile" won the Oscar for best original song in last night's academy awards ceremony. That would make it the first rap genre song to ever win an Oscar reflecting changing tastes in music.

As an aside, the score to "Frida" won as best score. I saw that movie and did think the music was beautiful. I may see if the score is available on CD and buy it.

I ran a thread here about a week ago asking for guesses as to what score and song would win Oscars. It really surprised me how few responses that thread received. I'm not sure if that means we have few movie fans at TalkBass or just that few folks here care about the Oscars. I'm thinking it is the latter, because the Grammies get little attention here also. Maybe the indifference to such industry awards is a good thing. Who needs someone else to tell us what music is the "best"?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with that last part - but whatever the "best" music is, in fact - I'm absolutely certain none of it has been made by Eminem!! ;)

Besides - everybody knows the Oscars is all about making more money for films that weren't popular enough to cover their costs, unless they got some other sort of promotion!! :rolleyes:

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    At least Michael Moore got an Oscar, that was a ray of hope IMO.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - the News reports over here have been saying that the Oscar cermony itself, was really put in the shade by the high feelings about the war - I suppose this kind of thing seems really trivial now, compared to the events going on elsewhere?

5. Boplicity

Like jazz, the best music does not always earn much money. The amount of money a film earns has little to do with its quality. Some of the worst movies bomb at the box office, but so do some of the best.

Even seasoned movie critics can't agree on whether a movie is worthwhile or not. I feel "The Hours" was the most dismal, depressing, boring and utterly time wasting movie I saw all year. Yet look at all the nominations it received. A movie's value is so subjective, just as in music. One man's prime rib is another man's chopped liver.

I doubt "The Hours" will ever be massively popular, even with the Oscars it received. Oscar awards may give that bomb somehwat of a boost. They may help "Chicago's" box office, though, and the richly deserving "The Pianist."

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good point. i started watching chicago and i walked out barely into the film. what an unmitigated piece of crap :mad: rene z. couldn't carry a tune with a dump truck - she's a _horrible_ singer, she sounded like an annie outtake.

lord of the rings 2 towers was one of the best films i've ever seen. it had more majesty and yet more cohesion than any of the c.b. demille classics that everyone points to as the "best epics ever made". if the gollum part was played by kevin spacey, but with the same dialog, he would've been nominated for a best supporting oscar, and he wouldn't have done as well in the part besides.

it's criminal that lord of the rings was overlooked for the main oscars, but i'm not surprised. a combination of what bruce said and also the whole "hollywood sensibility" :rolleyes:

i agree with boplicity that it's all subjective, but surely the majesty of the lord of the rings can be seen as absolute. if this story was about a couple of orphans "singing in the rain" or some other such hollywood tripe, it would've been a clean sweep, easily. the fact that the story challenges the viewer even a little with a hard story of good vs. evil couched in what seem to be fantasy cliches (nevermind the fact that this story _invented_ those cliches) earned it disdain from the "discriminating" and "esoteric" decision makers at the "academy".

thank you, i feel better now. :D

7. Bruce Lindfield

I agree that 2 towers was the best film I saw last year - but doesn't conform to a Hollywood ideal - which the Oscars are designed to perpetuate! :rolleyes:

Also - as you say, the Oscars are all about the cult of personality rather than good films - they are more interested in maintaining stars's status and box-office worth, than anything else.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I believe the Academy is holding back on the first two Lord of the Rings movies since it's a preconceived trilogy. I'm expecting The Return of the King to make a strong showing at next year's Oscars.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I kinda like "Lose Yourself", although I deplore it's author.

Am I the only one that didn't care for "Lord of the Rings"? Far too violent. I guess I just don't care for that level of violence and/or action in films anymore. Also, the love story seemed to take away from the plot.

precious

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's an epic, bro. it has to have violence and a love story. :D

11. I was hoping "Gangs of New York", "About Schmidt", and "Adaptation" would have gotten more awards. Martin Scorsese has been screwed over so many times, it's ridiculous. As for "Lord of the Rings", I can't really take that amount of fantasy, because it's harder for me to relate to the characters. In "Adaptation", I could relate so closely to Charlie Kaufman...it's like they wrote the story about me. I also hate it when one movie sweeps the awards, especially when it's a musical that begs for ass kissing from critics. The highlight of the evening was when Michael Moore single-handedly alienated half the audience. Liberal Hollywood my ass. :D

As for "Lose Yourself"...lack of dynamics, no real high point, anti-climactic.

12. Boplicity

I really enjoyed "Adaptation." My husband hated it. For me, Nicholas Cage was amazing as he played the twin brother screen writers and Peter Cooper did an excellent job of playing the orchid thief.

13. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Lord of the Rings T2T was an awesome movie, at least it won some awards. The Michael Moore thing was quite funny! And about chicago, I agree with JT: the singing in it is dreadful. I couldn't stand to put up with that for 2 hours.

14. Chris Cooper, you mean. (He's a KC native)

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Like JT said- the violence was a necessary part of the film- it was a lengthy section in the book, and the book is by no means a modern culture product...its on the the great classics. As far as the love story, only a sliver of that was in teh book- hollywood fabricated most of it to make a certain demographic happy, so I agree with you there. The movie didn't follow the book all taht well.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've always found Michael Moore's film editorials quite entertaining but sometimes hypocritical and often flawed.

I felt that his "acceptance" speech was typical of his movies...started out haranguing <sp?> and alienating but ending with a funny quip (about the pope and the Dixie Chicks). The finger-wagging was definitely overboard. I also found it funny that most people were either silent or booed.

brad cook

17. Bruce Lindfield

I think people tend to forget that Tolkien virtually invented this genre from scatch!!

Also, I think it pays not to take it too literally and to see it as a Jungian "working out" of psychological dramas - the characters are really archetypes and the violence is therefore allegorical.

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My criticism of the violence was not to label the film as another example of the increasing violence in films. It does not matter to me when the content was written, or what social commentary it may make. I think I've simply lost my taste for high levels of violence in films. While there are many who enjoy this, I cannot sit down an be entertained simply because there is a large battle. Not my cup of tea.

19. "lose yourself" is cool in my book. :cool: