Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Losing a family member (bass family that is)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassistGod, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Lose the Deluxe!

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Get rid of the Geddy Lee!

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Eat two carrots, then call me in the morning.

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. I have a HUUUUUGE dilemma. I have no money and am in a bit of debt. I have classes starting up soon this fall and will need money to help cover for tuition and books.

As a result, I've decided to sell one of my basses. Trouble is I can't decide which one should go. I love them both, and even though they're both Fenders, they're uniquely different in their own right.

MIM Fender 2002 Active Deluxe
    2001 Fender Geddy Lee Signature

The Geddy's got the maple board and has growl to spare with a nice well defined sound. Good looks too.

The Deluxe has the warm rosewood board and surprisingly nice active preamp. Quiet and versatile. Its geared toward that big fat warm bottom sound. But can also do a nice cutting edgey one too.

The Geddy Lee seems to be better constructed. Solid but heavy. The Deluxe is so versatile sounding and looks amazing with the tort shell.

Help me decide which one I should part ways with. I'm torn!:bawl:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would keep the Geddy, but then I don't like active Fenders.

Too bad you can't work out a way to keep them both.

3. Embellisher, I've tried. I would keep them both if I could. I'm trying to keep at least one at this point.

I guess I just gotta keep looking for those 0% apr balance transfer offers for now. :meh:

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Keep the Geddy Lee, no contest!

5. I'm leaving this up to TBer's. By the end of the day, the bass with the most votes is going up for sale.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Keep your basses. Is there a way to make more money?

7. I'd keep the Geddy if I were you, like you said, seems better constructed, besides the neck that everyone seems to love. A nice passive jazz with growl is arguably many people would need.*

*Disclaimer- I am in no way stating that this bass is all a person would need, but its a good place to start.

8. I guess I could start pimping.....my basses

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Austin Powers voice on. Grrrr baby, yeah. Now you're talkin my language. Behave. Austin Powers voice off :D

10. MIJ's tend to have a better reputation than MIM's. If it was an American Deluxe, I'd say that, but stick with the Geddy. Geddy's are also a lot harder to find.

11. casimir

casimir

Jul 22, 2002
    Henderson, NV
    you can live with one kidney

12. An idea is all it takes. Before you know it, I'll be a professional sperm bank donor.

13. My opinion would be the Geddy.

Although I hear you can make a pretty good chunk o' change from sperm and plasma donation :eek:

14. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I sold plasma when I was in school...I don't know if you can do that nowadays. Still there wouldn't be enough time to get the money for books and tuition. Don't fret to much over it because when you graduate you can buy any bass you want......right after you pay the mortgage, light bill, food, car note, student loan, clothes for the kids, repairs to the house - then buy any bass you want. Man I'm depressing my own self! :rolleyes:

15. casimir

casimir

Jul 22, 2002
    Henderson, NV
    I heard a lot of people get burried with jewelry. and they sure as hell aren't gonna miss it. If you're a gamblin man you could come out to vegas

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Drop 1 of your classes, keep both basses. Take that class when you have $.

17. :mad: :(

You're depressing me too. Thats what I have to look forward to.

I think I'm going to start a make a wish for a college student foundation here at Talkbass.

I can already hear the voice over by Sally Struthers.."Just 10 cents a day and you can make a difference in this boy's life.":D

18. I'm already on the extended 6 year plan. Thats a no go.

19. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    College is fun and you learn stuff and all, but our society acts like if you don't go right after high school then you're stupid. I think more people should work for awhile, save up some $, and then decide if they want to spend that $ on tuition or something else. They sure would appreciate what they're learning more if it was their own hard earned $ paying for classes instead of some far-distant loan or a gift from mom and dad.

Nobody should have to choose between a beloved bass and an education.

20. Wow Jondog, good point! I agree with you 100%.

If its one thing I've learned, its that college is almost like a marketing tool. You get the degree to become a more marketable product to employers. I think alot of fresh fish freshman don't get that. They thinks it's going to be a 4 year party like high school and just waste money.

Well thats pretty much what I did.